Software Design and Development Graduate Badge
A digital badge, or badge, is a record of achievement that recognizes a student's completion of a coherent and meaningful academic experience. GVSU offers both credit and non-credit bearing badges as digital credentials. Credit-bearing badges include anywhere from 0.5 to 15 academic credits and may include additional noncredit criteria. Credit-bearing badges are also posted to the academic transcript.
The School of Computing's software design and development badge (not a degree or certificate) is designed to prepare students in the following areas:
- Engage in modern software engineering processes.
- Analyze the requirements for a software project.
- Design a solution for a software project.
- Develop a mobile application.
- Create a relational database and learn how applications use databases for persistent storage.
Why Earn a Digital Badge at Grand Valley?
- Badges document knowledge, skills, and competencies you've gained through various learning and professional development opportunities.
- Pursuing a badge, either in continuing education or while completing a degree, can enhance your education.
- Digital badges can be displayed on social media, websites, and in emails.
- Completing a badge is an opportunity for you to highlight particularly marketable and desirable skills to potential employers.
This tool shows an overview of potential career opportunities for this major. Actual salaries, employment opportunities, and job titles may change over time.
Completion of a Bachelor's degree, and evidence of object-oriented programming skill is required for admission. You must submit an official transcript from your baccalaureate degree granting institution. To start your application:
- Visit gvsu.edu/admissions/graduate-application-24.htm
- Select the graduate online application. If you are new to the Grand Valley admissions site, please create an account at this time.
- Application type, select "to complete a Graduate Badge."
- Select a badge from the drop-down list.
- Choose your semester start date, and proceed with the rest of the application.
- Contact the School of Computing and Information Systems at [email protected] and inform them of your intent to enroll in the badge program.
For current GVSU students:
- Declare your badge via myBanner. Login to Banner Self-Service, click on Student, Student Records, Add a Certificate or Badge to your Program, Select the appropriate badge from the drop down list, and click Submit.
- Speak with the appropriate badge coordinator to ensure criteria are being met. You will be able to track your progress toward the badge in myPath as well!
- Once you are done with the requirements, apply to receive the badge via myBanner.
- Once the completion of your badge has been verified, the badge will be posted to your student record and will be viewable on your transcript. In addition, your digital badge will be posted on Credly.com.
Location & Format
Classes for the program are on the Robert C. Pew Grand Rapids Campus.Format:
- Face To Face
The software design and development badge is comprised of three courses (nine credits).
- CIS 611 - Introduction to Software Engineering
- CIS 641 - Systems Analysis and Design
and one of:
- CIS 657 - Mobile Application Development
- CIS 673 - Principles of Database Design
For More InformationSchool of Computing
Dr. Robert Adams, Ph.D.
C-2-100 Mackinac Hall
ARE YOU A GVSU ALUM?
When you became a Laker, you opened up a lifetime of learning, and now alumni like you can use your Laker Lifetime Learning (L3) account for classes that provide greater knowledge and new skills. Your account is waiting for you to use for future classes at GVSU. All you have to do is click on the button below to find out more.Find Out More About Your Laker Lifetime Learning Account (L3)