Event Sustainability Operations Undergraduate Certificate
The average meeting and event have a great impact on emissions from such travel necessities as single-use plastics, air and ground transportation, food and beverage, and hotel and venue energy expenditures. Due to the size of the meeting and event industry, it is vital that professionals have a strong understanding of and the ability to implement environmental and sustainability practices.
The event sustainability operations certificate will prepare you to gain a wider understanding of the role sustainability principles and practices play when planning, conducting, and evaluating events. This certificate is geared toward for-profit and not-for-profit event providers. An important component of this certificate is working with actual events.
This certificate is open and available to currently enrolled GVSU students. Nondegree-seeking students can be admitted into the program by contacting the Hospitality and Tourism Management department.
Why Study Event Sustainability Operations at Grand Valley?
- Learn how to integrate scientific, economic, political, and sociocultural perspectives on topics in environmental and sustainability studies and how to apply these skills to event operations.
- Obtain a sustainability specialty within the meeting and event industry.
- Gain basic career training and experience in performance, professionalism, and work relations via internships and fieldwork.
- Create stackable credentials that enhance your degree and bolster your resume.
- Complete the program in one year or less.
For new students, visit the Admissions website for undergraduate requirements. Upon acceptance and for current students:
- Declare your certificate via myBanner (Login to Banner Self-Service, click on Student, Student Records, Add a Certificate or Badge to your Program, Select the appropriate certificate from the drop-down list, and click Submit)
- Departmental approval is required. If denied, an email will be sent to your GVSU student email.
- Speak with the appropriate certificate coordinator to ensure criteria are being met (you will be able to track your progress toward the certificate in myPath as well!)
- Once you are done with the requirements, apply to receive the certificate via myBanner.
- Once the completion of your certificate has been verified, the certificate will be posted to your student record and will be viewable on your transcript.
Location & Format
Classes for the program are a combination of online and in-seat on the Allendale Campus.Format:
The certificate is a total of 15 credits:
- ENS 201 - Introduction to Environmental and Sustainability Studies
- HTM 240 - Introduction to Meeting and Event Management
- HTM 340 - Event Sustainability
- HTM 360 - Corporate Social Responsibility in the Tourism Industry
- HTM 313 - Farm to Fork - Sustainability in Food Service Cuisine OR
- HTM 190 - Field Preparation AND
- HTM 290 - Field Experience