Health Care Information Systems Minor
Information systems studies the use of computers in collecting, organizing, storing, retrieving, processing, and analyzing information in response to the ever-changing challenges faced by organizations.
The health care information systems (HIS) minor is a combination of technology and health care that is in high demand in West Michigan and across the country.
Why Study Health Care Information Systems at Grand Valley?
- Flexibility. By choosing electives and minors in related subject areas, students can further tailor their degrees to fit their individual needs and career goals.
- Theoretical foundation and practical experience offer excellent preparation for the job market and valuable industry experience.
- Small class sizes of approximately 30 students.
- Qualified faculty. Most faculty members hold doctoral degrees and have a wide breadth of experience in the industry.
- Competent advisors are available to all students.
- The School of Computing has its own dedicated state-of-the-art computer labs for hands-on experience. A premier data communications lab and computer architecture lab are also available.
- The School of Computing will prepare you to begin successful careers in some of the best technology jobs in the industry.
This tool shows an overview of potential career opportunities for this major. Actual salaries, employment opportunities, and job titles may change over time.
Location & Format
The program is fully online.Format:
The medical field continues to be transformed by information technology. The HIS minor prepares future health professionals with a strong foundation in information technology as it relates to health care.
The following courses are required for completion of the minor:
- AHS 100 - Medical Terminology
- AHS 110 - Introduction to Health Care
- CIS 231 - Problem Solving Using Spreadsheets
- CIS 331 - Data Analysis Tools and Techniques OR CIS 335 - Data Mining
- CIS 340 - Health Care Information Systems
- CIS 358 - Information Assurance
- HIM 310 - Functional and Administrative Practices in Health Information Management
Three additional electives complete the minor. Topics covered include computer science, database management, and network management. See gvsu.edu/catalog for details.
FOR MORE INFORMATIONSchool of Computing
C-2-100 Mackinac Hall
“I like the School of Computing at Grand Valley because the classes are small and make for a more personal learning environment.”
INFORMATION SYSTEMS MAJOR