Athletic Training, M.A.T.
The program is a two-year degree offered through the Department of Physical Therapy and Athletic Training that provides students with a theoretical and conceptual foundation combined with extensive hands-on clinical experience for professional preparation.
Why Study Athletic Training at Grand Valley?
- This student-centered program ensures personal attention from faculty members in all courses and labs, with opportunities for research.
- There are extensive opportunities for hands-on service learning in diverse clinical settings.
- Students learn using state-of-the-art equipment and instructional materials.
- Graduates receive consistently high pass rates on the Board of Certification exam for athletic trainers.
- The program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education.
This tool shows an overview of potential career opportunities for this major. Actual salaries, employment opportunities, and job titles may change over time.
The Grand Valley State University Athletic Training Program is a CAATE accredited program that is Active in Good Standing.
Location & Format
Graduate students in this major study on the GVSU Health Campus, near the Grand Rapids Medical Mile.Format:
- Face To Face
The program requires coursework in the following areas:
- Prehospital care
- General medical conditions
- Injury assessment
- Therapeutic Interventions
- Psychosocial intervention
- Evidence based practice
The athletic training program is a secondary admission program. Visit
A fully completed application must be submitted by October 15 for
priority consideration. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis
through April 15 or until all positions have been filled. The $30
nonrefundable application fee is waived if the applicant has
previously applied to GVSU.
Prerequisites must be met in order for applicants to be considered for admittance to the GVSU Athletic Training Program. Those prerequisites can be found here.
ARE YOU A GVSU ALUM?
When you became a Laker, you opened up a lifetime of learning, and now alumni like you can use your Laker Lifetime Learning (L3) account for classes that provide greater knowledge and new skills. Your account is waiting for you to use for future classes at GVSU. All you have to do is click on the button below to find out more.Find Out More About Your Laker Lifetime Learning Account (L3)