LAKERS TOGETHER: Find out how we're moving forward. Learn about campus safety measures including testing, face coverings and vaccines.
Diagnostic Medical Sonography, B.S.
Diagnostic medical sonography is commonly known as "ultrasound." Sonographers are health care professionals who utilize imaging technology to assist in the process of medical diagnosis. Sonographers have skills that are utilized by many specialties, including emergency medicine, pediatrics, fertility, oncology, musculoskeletal, and general medicine.
The Diagnostic Medical Sonography program is a 21-month long cohort program, which begin in the fall each year. Secondary admission is required. Admittance is selectively granted to students who have completed 2 years of required general education and prerequisite courses. Student applications for placement in the fall cohort are due by February 1 every year. Applications are available online.
Why Study Diagnostic Medical Sonography at Grand Valley?
- GVSU's sonography programs are the only Baccalaureate level programs in the State of Michigan. Strong curriculum and knowledgeable, clinically practicing faculty prepare students for leadership in the field.
- Laboratory facilities utilize state-of-the-art sonographic equipment to prepare students for current and emerging techniques and protocols.
- A commitment to quality is demonstrated through continuous accreditation by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs in association with the Joint Review Committee on Education in Diagnostic Medical Sonography.
- Students enjoy small class sizes, a cohort educational experience, and clinical education at multiple physician offices and hospitals. Rotation of clinical site placements means students get diverse experiences, network across multiple health systems, and develop broad skill sets.
- Students are qualified to take national board registries through the American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonography before graduation, allowing them to become board-registered sonographers immediately upon graduation. GVSU's sonography programs are the only programs in the State of Michigan with this distinction.