Data Analytics Graduate Badge
A digital badge, or badge, is a record of achievement that recognizes a student's completion of a coherent and meaningful academic experience. GVSU offers both credit and non-credit bearing badges as digital credentials. Credit-bearing badges include anywhere from 0.5 to 15 academic credits and may include additional noncredit criteria. Credit-bearing badges are also posted to the academic transcript.
The School of Computing's data analytics badge (not a degree or
certificate) is designed to prepare students in the following areas:
- Understand and work with big and complex data sets across multiple disciplines.
- Use computational methods for knowledge discovery and data mining.
- Evaluate and create visualizations for complex data sets.
- Design parallel and high-performance computing algorithms.
- Develop machine learning algorithms.
Why Earn a Digital Badge at Grand Valley?
- Badges document knowledge, skills, and competencies you've gained through various learning and professional development opportunities.
- Pursuing a badge, either in continuing education or while completing a degree, can enhance your education.
- Digital badges can be displayed on social media, websites, and in emails.
- Completing a badge is an opportunity for you to highlight particularly marketable and desirable skills to potential employers.
This tool shows an overview of potential career opportunities for this major. Actual salaries, employment opportunities, and job titles may change over time.
Completion of a Bachelor's degree, and evidence of object-oriented programming skill is required for admission. You must submit an official transcript from your baccalaureate degree granting institution. To start your application, click here.
For current GVSU students:
- Declare your badge via myBanner. Login to Banner Self-Service, click on Student, Student Records, Add a Certificate or Badge to your Program, Select the appropriate badge from the drop down list, and click Submit.
- Speak with the appropriate badge coordinator to ensure criteria are being met. You will be able to track your progress toward the badge in myPath as well!
- Once you are done with the requirements, apply to receive the badge via myBanner.
- Once the completion of your badge has been verified, the badge will be posted to your student record and will be viewable on your transcript. In addition, your digital badge will be posted on Credly.com.
Location & Format
In-person classes are offered on the Robert C. Pew Grand Rapids Campus.Format:
- Face To Face
The data analytics badge is comprised of three courses (nine credits). Classes are offered on Pew Campus in downtown Grand Rapids.
- CIS 635 - Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining
- CIS 671 - Information Visualization
And your choice of one of the following:
- CIS 677 - High-performance Computing
- CIS 678 - Machine Learning
The nine credits that comprise the data analytics badge can be applied towards a master's degree in applied computer science or a master's degree in data science and analytics.
For More InformationSchool of Computing
Dr. Robert Adams, Ph.D.
C-2-100 Mackinac Hall
ARE YOU A GVSU ALUM?
When you became a Laker, you opened up a lifetime of learning, and now alumni like you can use your Laker Lifetime Learning (L3) account for classes that provide greater knowledge and new skills. Your account is waiting for you to use for future classes at GVSU. All you have to do is click on the button below to find out more.Find Out More About Your Laker Lifetime Learning Account (L3)