Applied Statistics, M.S.
The Master of Science in applied statistics is a Professional Science Master's program that allows students to combine strong communication skills with an ability to interpret and present statistical findings. The curriculum emphasizes practical experience and statistical applications, so students are ready to make an immediate impact on the applied statistics industry.
The degree emphasizes teamwork, problem-solving communication, scientific knowledge, and technical skills. An internship is required. Visit gvsu.edu/psm for more program information.
Good performance in undergraduate statistics will strengthen an application. This coursework should include SAS and be equivalent to STA 216 at GVSU. Completion of this course and other statistics courses is recommended either concurrent with an application or later. Some other programming language experience is advantageous as part of an application (R, Python etc.) but it is not required. Quantitative/data-oriented work experience would also be considered relevant but is not required.
Why Study Applied Statistics at Grand Valley?
- The program offers a comprehensive curriculum in applied statistics at the graduate level, providing experience in a greater variety of applied statistical techniques.
- Statisticians are in high demand across a variety of industries: retail, manufacturing, health care, and academia.
- Internships provide valuable, hands-on industry experience sought by employers.
- Many of the courses are offered in the evening, allowing more flexibility in students' daily schedules.
- Students gain valuable experience in the application of statistical software.
This tool shows an overview of potential career opportunities for this major. Actual salaries, employment opportunities, and job titles may change over time.
Location & Format
- Face To Face
Requirements for the degree are 36 credit hours, comprised of the following components:
- Twenty-two credit hours in applied statistics courses
- Elective credit hours
- Professional science courses
- Internship experience
The application deadline for fall semester is June 1; winter deadline
is November 1. The $30 nonrefundable application fee is waived if the
applicant has previously applied to GVSU.
For general requirements for graduate admission, visit Grand Valley State University’s admission section of the online catalog.
Admission into the statistics program has additional requirements, which are available on this page.
If you have additional questions, please contact our graduate admissions office.