Combined Degree: Computer Science, B.S. and Data Science and Analytics, M.S.
Grand Valley State University combined degree programs offer current qualified undergraduate students the opportunity to complete both an undergraduate and graduate degree, meeting their unique personal, academic, and career goals. Pursuing a combined degree program can reduce the cost and total time required to complete both a bachelor's and a master's degree.
Listen to Podcast
The computer science major provides students with the intellectual foundations and experiences necessary to succeed professionally in the computing and information technology field. The data science and analytics degree provides students with the fundamental analytics background necessary to work with big and complex data sets in any discipline.
This combined degree has applications to health, social, political, and environmental issues as science and technology disciplines. It provides training in key technical areas while also developing business and communication skills.
Qualified undergraduates may be admitted to the program and obtain both the B.S. in computer science and M.S. in data science and analytics within the accelerated time frame. Students apply during their second academic year. Application requirements include:
- Overall GPA of 3.25 or greater
- Admission to the undergraduate program
- 60 hours of academic credit completed or in progress
- Two letters of recommendation
- Academic transcripts
- Letter of intent
Why Pursue a Combined Degree at Grand Valley?
- The number of job postings for data science grew 57 percent for the first quarter of 2017. Data-related jobs are expected to grow by 11 percent from 2014 to 2024, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- The program includes field experiences and collaborative assignments and projects.
- Faculty have a combination of real world experience and academic training.
- The degree has a strong emphasis in the fundamentals of data science.
- Accelerate your career trajectory and complete your degrees one step ahead of the competition.
This tool shows an overview of potential career opportunities for this major. Actual salaries, employment opportunities, and job titles may change over time.
Location & Format
- Face To Face
Students admitted to this program will count up to 12 credits of graduate work in partial satisfaction of the requirements for the undergraduate degree, and may count towards both the B.S. and M.S. degrees. Students are encouraged to meet with their graduate program director to ensure all requirements are met.
Students apply directly to the School of Computing for the combined B.S./M.S. program during their second academic year. Visit the online catalog for information about admission requirements for the combined bachelor of science in computer science and master of science in data science and analytics.