Combined Degree: Computer Science, B.S. and Data Science and Analytics, M.S.
Grand Valley State University combined degree programs offer students the opportunity to complete both an undergraduate and graduate degree, meeting their unique personal, academic, and career goals. Pursuing a combined degree program can reduce the cost and total time required to complete both a bachelor's and a master's degree.
The computer science major provides students with the intellectual foundations and experiences necessary to succeed professionally in the computing and information technology field. The data science and analytics degree provides students with the fundamental analytics background necessary to work with big and complex data sets in any discipline.
This combined degree has applications to health, social, political, and environmental issues as science and technology disciplines. It provides training in key technical areas while also developing business and communication skills.
Qualified undergraduates may be admitted to the program and obtain both the B.S. in computer science and M.S. in data science and analytics within the accelerated time frame. Students apply directly to the School of Computing and Information Systems during their second academic year. Application requirements include:
- Overall GPA of 3.25 or greater
- Admission to the undergraduate program
- 60 hours of academic credit completed or in progress
- Two letters of recommendation
- Academic transcripts
- Letter of intent
Why Pursue a Combined Degree at Grand Valley?
- The number of job postings for data science grew 57 percent for the first quarter of 2017. Data-related jobs are expected to grow by 11 percent from 2014 to 2024, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- This program is designed with the working professional in mind, and offers classes in the evening.
- The program includes field experiences and collaborative assignments and projects.
- Passionate practitioners with years of experience in the field.
- The degree has a strong emphasis in the fundamentals of data science.
- Accelerate your career trajectory and complete your degrees one step ahead of the competition.