Combined Degree: Computer Science B.S. and Applied Computer Science M.S.
Grand Valley State University combined degree programs offer students
the opportunity to complete both an undergraduate and graduate degree,
meeting their unique personal, academic, and career goals. Pursuing a
combined degree program can reduce the cost and total time required to
complete both a bachelor's and a master's degree.
Listen to Podcast
Qualified undergraduates may be admitted to the program and obtain both the B.S. in computer science and M.S. in applied computer science within the accelerated time frame.
Students apply for the combined B.S./M.S. program during their second academic year. Application requirements include:
- Overall GPA of 3.25 or greater
- Already admitted to the computer science program
- 60 hours of academic credit completed or in progress
- Two letters of recommendation
- Academic transcripts
Why Pursue Combined Degrees at Grand Valley?
- Highly-credentialed and well-connected faculty.
- The School of Computing has its own dedicated state-of-the-art computer labs for hands-on equipment. A premier data communications lab and computer architecture lab are also available.
- Accelerate your career trajectory and complete your degrees one step ahead of the competition.
- Respond to emerging job markets.
- Meet the growing national need for more master's trained employees.
- Gain valuable internship and career opportunities through partnerships in the West Michigan area.
This tool shows an overview of potential career opportunities for this major. Actual salaries, employment opportunities, and job titles may change over time.
Location & Format
Students admitted to this program will count up to 12 credits of graduate work in partial satisfaction of the requirements for the undergraduate degree.
Students may dual-count the following classes toward the B.S./M.S. degree. Students are encouraged to meet with the graduate program director to ensure all requirements are met.
- CIS 611 for CIS 350
- CIS 616 for CIS 458
- CIS 617 for CIS 430
- CIS 635 for CIS 335
- CIS 657 for CIS 357
- CIS 658 for CIS 371
- CIS 660 for CIS 360
- CIS 672 for CIS 351
- CIS 673 for CIS 353
- CIS 654 for CIS 457
- CIS 693 for CIS 467
Students apply directly to the School of Computing for the combined B.S./M.S. program during their second academic year. Visit the online catalog to learn more about admission requirements for the combined bachelor of science in computer science and master of science in applied computer science.