Premedical students gain the strong foundation on which to build their studies at a medical school, leading to successful careers in the burgeoning health industry.
Medical schools accept students with a variety of different majors. Premedical students at Grand Valley may choose any major while completing the prerequisite coursework they need to score well on the Medical College Admission Test.
Grand Valley students are exceptionally competitive. In Fall 2020, 54 percent of Grand Valley students with a 3.4 GPA or higher were accepted to medical school on their first application, whereas nationally in 2020, 40 percent of applicants to M.D. programs were accepted.
The preprofessional advising team is prepared to help students achieve their dreams of medical school.
Why Pursue Premedical Studies at Grand Valley?
- Premedical students at GVSU have access to state-of-the-art labs,
including a cadaver lab, that provide unique and rigorous
preparation for medical school.
- The advising team maintains a robust preprofessional website to help students find various resources and connect to shadowing and volunteer opportunities. The team also coordinates various workshops and events throughout the year to support premedical students, including a suture clinic, a healthcare experience panel, professional and graduate school fairs, personal statement workshops, and mock mini-interviews.
- Students can join the PreMed Club, Pre-SOMA (Students of Osteopathic Medicine Association), which connects students with medical school admission representatives, current medical students (GVSU alumni), and volunteer and networking opportunities.
- Premedical students are provided with a high level of support through the medical school application process, one-on-one advising, webinars/workshops, and application review services.
- GVSU has partnerships with five of the seven Michigan medical schools, where students can apply through Early Assurance Programs or the WMedStart program.
Location & Format
Undergraduate students in this major study at the Grand Valley Allendale Campus.
- Face To Face
Grand Valley's premedical program offers all the courses necessary to gain admission to medical school and prepare fully for the MCAT, including:
- Anatomy & physiology
- Cadaver lab
- General chemistry
- Organic chemistry
- Social sciences/humanities
Premedical studies prepares students for medical school, and they go on to hold positions such as:
- Hospital administrator
- Medical examiner
Combined Degree Programs
Most undergraduate majors that premedical students pursue can be combined with a master's degree if a student decides they would like to earn both a bachelor's and master's degree before starting medical school. On average, students save $8,500 in our combined degree programs and take up to four fewer classes than if earning the degrees separately.
You can even build your own combined degree from programs in different disciplines to further personalize your education and meet specific career goals.
REAL-WORLD EXPERIENCEHands-on learning and other fieldwork not only deepen your mastery of your discipline but also give you the edge employers seek. Visit our experience matters page to see the work GVSU students are doing in their co-ops and internships.
Visit the Admissions website for undergraduate requirements.