Premedical students gain the strong foundation on which to build their studies at a medical school, leading to successful careers in the burgeoning health industry.
Medical schools accept students with a variety of different majors. Premedical students at Grand Valley may choose any major while completing the prerequisite coursework they need to score well on the Medical College Admission Test.
Grand Valley students are exceptionally competitive. In Fall 2019, 57 percent of Grand Valley students with a 3.4 GPA or higher were accepted to medical school on their first application, whereas nationally in 2019, 40 percent of applicants to M.D. programs were accepted.
The preprofessional advising team is prepared to help students achieve their dreams of medical school.
Why Pursue Premedical Studies at Grand Valley?
- Premedical students at GVSU have access to state-of-the-art labs,
including a cadaver lab, that provide unique and rigorous
preparation for medical school.
- The advising team maintains a robust preprofessional website to help students find various resources and connect to shadowing and volunteer opportunities. The team also coordinates various workshops and events throughout the year to support premedical students, including suture clinic, health care experience panel, test prep course, professional and graduate school fairs, personal statement workshop, and mock mini interviews.
- Students can join the PreMed Club, Pre-SOMA (Students of Osteopathic Medicine Association), and/or the Pre-MD/PhD Club at GVSU, which connect students with medical school admission representatives, current medical students (GVSU alumni), volunteer and networking opportunities.
- Premedical students are provided with a high level of support through the medical school application process, one-on-one advising, webinars/workshops, and application review services.
- GVSU has partnerships with five of the seven Michigan medical schools, where students can apply through Early Assurance Programs or the WMedStart program. Students who choose to apply to medical school through the regular application cycle have the ability to request a committee letter through the GVSU Preprofessional Committee.