Professional Innovation, B.A.S.
The professional innovation program is designed for those who have completed an associate degree and are looking to complete a bachelor's degree.
The Professional Innovation major allows you to pursue a flexible array of customizable emphases as part of a Bachelor of Applied Science Degree (B.A.S.). It is designed for those who have completed an Applied Associate degree (A.A.S.) or the equivalent. This degree recognizes the value of technical skills earned at the associate level while guiding you to build interdisciplinary knowledge and strengthen core academic skills.
Why Study Professional Innovation at Grand Valley?
- Build off the value of your associate degree to develop your skills and complete your degree.
- Earn college credit for your work/life experience.
- Customize your program by choosing from an array of stackable credentials in a variety of specialized areas, such as healthcare, hospitality, leadership, and more.
- Develop knowledge in critical thinking, ethical reasoning, quantitative and qualitative literacies, creative and complex problem-solving, and oral and written communication.
- Students may complete this degree fully online, including in accelerated (6-week) class formats as well as face-to-face.
Visit the Center for Adult and Continuing Studies to learn more about help getting your career and your life to the next level.
Location & Format
Classes for this major are offered in a combination of in-seat and online.Formats:
Students complete requirements for a customizable specialization in the context of core courses designed to support students' advance in their current careers or through new career pathways. You must follow all general education requirements and complete a minimum 120 credits total toward the degree. This can include credits from an associate degree or other prior coursework at an accredited institution. An additional 24 credits may be awarded towards the degree total through prior learning assessment (PLA).
Meet with an advisor to choose your best path to completion.
All professional innovation majors must complete the following requirements:
- BAS 301 - Concepts of Learning Integration
- BAS 495 - Senior Seminar in Applied Sciences
- INT 331 - Person and Profession in a Global Environment
And one of the following courses:
- CIS 320 - Visualization of Data and Information
- DS 202 - Digital Data and Design
- STA 215 - Introduction to Applied Statistics
You must also complete one of the following emphasis options, for a minimum of 18 unduplicated credits:
- Pre-approved minor programs;
- Stackable credentials, including undergraduate certificates; or
- Design a custom emphasis, tailored to meet your goals.
The unique structure of this program allows those with an associate degree to move forward with their education to advance their careers. This maximizes the value of credits already earned and allows you to prepare for future occupations that may not be reflected in current academic programs.