Religious Studies Minor
Religious Studies (REL) prepares students to think critically and creatively. Connecting differing perspectives is an essential foundation for a wide variety of career paths or graduate study.
Learning Beyond Belief
A minor in Religious Studies offers students the opportunity to:
- Take courses in a range of formats including online and hybrid classes, designed to fit a variety of schedules and needs;
- Strengthen interpersonal skills to work with people from different backgrounds;
- Bring a deeper understanding of religious issues into public dialogue and professional life;
- Enhance training in fields like health care, business, law, education, and non-profit work by building critical thinking skills and intercultural competencies.
Why Pursue Religious Studies at Grand Valley?
- Encourages students to develop interdisciplinary understandings and to take full advantage of cross-cultural opportunities at GVSU as well as in the greater community.
- Promotes critical thinking, intercultural knowledge and competence, ethical reasoning, and integrative learning.
- Gives you a competitive edge in service-oriented professions.
- The minor is designed to be completed online if desired.
Location & Format
Undergraduate students in this field may complete studies in-seat,
online, or a combination.
Employers and graduate schools seek religious studies students for their strengths in intercultural communication, complex problem solving, and global understanding. This includes fields like:
- Health care
- Gov't/global NGO agencies
- Religious organizations
- Social services and nonprofits
- Teaching and administration
Combined Degree Programs
This undergraduate degree can be combined with a master's degree to save you time and money, and get you into the workforce sooner. On average, students save $8,500 in our combined degree programs and take up to four fewer classes than if earning the degrees separately.
You can even build your own combined degree from programs in different disciplines to further personalize your education and meet specific career goals.
“Under the direction of a caring and knowledgeable faculty, the religious studies program at GVSU fosters the critical thinking and analysis skills necessary to succeed in one's career and educational endeavors.”
RELIGIOUS STUDIES ALUMNI
CORNELL LAW SCHOOL GRADUATE, PRACTICING ATTORNEY