Effective management of finance is critical to the successful management of any business. The Bachelor of Business Administration in finance provides students with the financial concepts and strategies businesses need.
Finance is a dynamic field that affects all areas of business and many areas of personal life. Finance majors gain specialization in a specific field by taking advanced courses in that area. Study abroad opportunities also exist to prepare students for a global society.
Why Study Finance at Grand Valley?
- All courses are taught by faculty who have strong academic credentials and are experts in the finance field.
- Current technology (Excel®, financial simulation, etc.) is used in the classroom and integrated into courses.
- Internships allow students to earn money and gain valuable business experience. An annual expo is held to make students aware of internship opportunities.
- The active portfolio management course offers students the opportunity to manage a stock portfolio of more than $250,000.
- The Gary L. Tilkin Financial Markets Center provides students with experiential learning opportunities utilizing databases such as WRDS (including CRSP and Capital IQ) and application-based exercises.
This tool shows an overview of potential career opportunities for this major. Actual salaries, employment opportunities, and job titles may change over time.
Location & Format
- Face To Face
Aside from the business core, students study a variety of topics, including:
- Financial modeling
- International finance
- Portfolio management
Combined Degree Programs
This undergraduate degree can be combined with a master's degree to save you time and money, and get you into the workforce sooner. On average, students save $8,500 in our combined degree programs and take up to four fewer classes than if earning the degrees separately.
You can even build your own combined degree from programs in different disciplines to further personalize your education and meet specific career goals.
Seidman's Early Access Program
Each year, the Seidman College of Business allows early access into the business college to a select few individuals as first-year students. This honor is reserved for students who have received a 3.500 or higher high school GPA.
Seidman Success Standards
For students not part of Seidman’s Early Access program, the Seidman
College of Business permits access to upper-level (300-400) business
courses after meeting the following Seidman Success Standards:
1. Have earned at least 55 semester hours (junior status)
2. Established a 2.500 or higher overall GPA; and
3. Completed the following courses with a 2.500 or higher combined GPA: ACC 212, BUS 201, ECO 210, ECO 211, MGT 268, STA 215
“When interviewing for an employer with which to partner for my career, GVSU was highly respected. The education that I received provided a valuable base and enticed me to continue learning throughout life.”