Advanced Tax Practice Graduate Badge
A badge is a digital record of achievement that recognizes completion of a coherent and meaningful academic experience. You can link your digital badges to online résumés and portfolios, career websites, or social media. This gives you a way to share experiences, competencies, and knowledge with current and future employers, professional and community organizations, recruiters, and graduate program advisors.
The School of Accounting's badge in advanced tax practice is designed to prepare students for advanced level tax research and planning for a variety of situations, including tasks such as researching and providing tax law conclusions for tax issues posited by various tax fact patterns regarding
- employee benefit plans and executive compensation under the Internal Revenue Code and ERISA;
- fundamental concepts applicable to tax accounting periods and to consolidated income tax returns; and
- federal tax practice and procedure.
Why Earn a Digital Badge at Grand Valley?
- Completing a badge is an opportunity to highlight marketable and desirable skills to potential employers.
- Pursuing a badge, either in continuing education or while completing a degree, enhances your education.
- Digital badges can be displayed on social media, websites, and in emails.
- Badges are an efficient way to obtain a specialization, and can be completed in a year.
- The four taxation badges will create stackable credentials towards earning a master's degree in taxation.
Seidman is accredited by the AACSB International.
Completion of a bachelor's degree in accounting is required for admission; you must submit an official transcript from your baccalaureate degree granting institution. (Prerequisites differ by badge, contact a graduate program team member for details.)
Applicants seeking this badge while undergraduate or dual enrolled must specify whether each course will count toward their current undergraduate degree or a future graduate degree.
To start your application:
- Visit gvsu.edu/seidmangrad and select "Graduate Credentials."
- Click the button "Inquire for More Information" and fill out the online form.
- A member of the graduate programs team will contact you to get you started.
For current GVSU students:
- Declare your badge via myBanner. Login to Banner Self-Service, click on Student, Student Records, Add a Certificate or Badge to your Program, Select the appropriate badge from the drop down list, and click Submit.
- Speak with the appropriate badge coordinator to ensure criteria are being met. You will be able to track your progress toward the badge in myPath as well!
- Once you are done with the requirements, apply to receive the badge via myBanner.
- Once the completion of your badge has been verified, the badge will be posted to your student record and will be viewable on your transcript. In addition, your digital badge will be posted on Credly.com.
Location & Format
Classes for the program are a combination of online and in-seat downtown on the Pew Grand Rapids Campus in L. William Seidman Center in downtown Grand Rapids, MI.Format:
The badge is comprised of three courses, three credits each.
- ACC 631 - Employee Benefit Plans and Deferred Compensation
- ACC 632 - Tax Accounting
- ACC 639 - Federal Tax Practice and Procedure
The badge is not a degree or certificate; however, if you choose to continue, completion of this badge and the other three taxation specialization badges will create stackable credentials towards earning a master's degree in taxation.
Admission to the Seidman College of Business and completion of the capstone required to earn the MST, talk to a counselor for details.
For More InformationSeidman College of Business
Koleta Moore, Assistant Dean
1033 L. William Seidman Center
ARE YOU A GVSU ALUM?
When you became a Laker, you opened up a lifetime of learning, and now alumni like you can use your Laker Lifetime Learning (L3) account for classes that provide greater knowledge and new skills. Your account is waiting for you to use for future classes at GVSU. All you have to do is click on the button below to find out more.Find Out More About Your Laker Lifetime Learning Account (L3)