Leadership Undergraduate Certificate
Employers want people who can problem solve, think critically, and work as part of a team. A certificate in leadership from Grand Valley State University develops these skills, enhancing your major degree of study and preparing you for your future career.
The certificate in leadership focuses on social change and business communication, and it includes further exploration into organizational theory, team building, design thinking, and grant writing.
Skills Employers Want
The leadership certificate provides you with essential skills necessary for 21st century, cross-sector leadership:
- Leadership integrity, identity and values
- Structural awareness
- Interpersonal and conflict management skills
- Diversity and cultural competency
- Creative and critical decision-making
- Written and oral communication skills
Why Study Leadership at Grand Valley?
- You will be developing professional skills that employers are looking for such as team building and ethics.
- You can create stackable credentials that enhance your degree and bolster your resume.
- Our faculty and support staff provide direct, practical guidance ensure you thrive.
- The program can be completed in one year or less.
This tool shows an overview of potential career opportunities for this major. Actual salaries, employment opportunities, and job titles may change over time.
For new students, visit the Admissions website for undergraduate requirements. Upon acceptance and for current students:
- Declare your certificate via myBanner (Login to Banner Self-Service, click on Student, Student Records, Add a Certificate or Badge to your Program, Select the appropriate certificate from the drop down list, and click Submit)
- Speak with the appropriate certificate coordinator to ensure criteria are being met (you will be able to track your progress toward the certificate in myPath as well!)
- Once you are done with the requirements, apply to receive the certificate via myBanner.
- Once the completion of your certificate has been verified, the certificate will be posted to your student record and will be viewable on your transcript.
Location & Format
Undergraduate students may complete their studies fully online, in both 15-week and accelerated (6-week) formats via the LEADS Program, or in person on the Allendale, Grand Rapids, or Traverse City campuses.Format:
- Face To Face
The leadership certificate is comprised of 12 credits.
Required core classes:
- INT 312 - Collaborative Communication
- INT 341 - Leadership for Social Change
Plus, any two of the following:
- INT 310 - Creativity
- INT 323 - Design Thinking to Meet Real-World Needs
- INT 331 - Person and Profession
- COM 438 - Communication Ethics
- MGT 345 - Team Building
- PA 390 - Leadership Dynamics
- PA 420 - Organization Theory and Dynamics
- WRT 350 - Business Communication