LAKERS TOGETHER: Find out how we're moving forward.
Middle East Studies Minor
Middle East studies (MES) focuses on the area stretching from Morocco in the west to Oman in the east, Iran and Turkey in the north to Sudan in the south. The history and art of this region contributed to Western civilization and the area today is central to issues of global peace and prosperity.
The MES minor introduces students to the heritage, problems, and
perspectives of Middle Eastern cultures within and beyond borders.
Michigan, for example, is home to the nation's largest Arab American
community. Study abroad also available.
Why Minor in Middle East Studies at Grand Valley?
- Prepares students for an increasingly diverse world of peoples, cultures, religions, and economies.
- Is a gateway to gaining communicative and intercultural skills in a global economy.
- A number of culturally enriching middle eastern study abroad programs are available; visit gvsu.edu/pic for details.
- Capitalizes on increasing interest in the non-Western world from a variety of disciplines.
- Offers opportunities to participate in the Model Arab League simulations held annually.
- Provides opportunities to attend field trips to points of cultural interest locally and in the Detroit area.