Data Science and Analytics, M.S.
The M.S. in data science and analytics provides students with the fundamental analytics background necessary to work with big and complex data sets in any discipline. The degree has applications to health, social, political, and environmental issues as well as science and technology disciplines. It provides training in key technical areas while also developing business and communication skills.
Listen to Podcast
The program requires a minimum of 36 credits. Requisite courses, from statistics, computer science, and professional science, provide students with a strong foundation in data science. This is an applied program for the working professional.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. The deadline for fall semester is May 1, international, and July 1, domestic; winter semester is September 1, international, and November 1, domestic. The $30 nonrefundable application fee is waived if the applicant has previously applied to GVSU.
Why Study Data Science and Analytics at Grand Valley?
- Data-related jobs are expected to grow by 11 percent from 2014 to 2024, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- This flexible program is designed with the working professional in mind, offering evening classes.
- The program offers experiential learning through field experiences and collaborative assignments and projects.
- First-rate faculty members are trained professionals with advanced degrees in data science.
- The program features a strong emphasis in the fundamentals of data science.
This tool shows an overview of potential career opportunities for this major. Actual salaries, employment opportunities, and job titles may change over time.
Location & Format
Classes for graduate students in this major meet downtown on the Robert C. Pew Grand Rapids Campus.Format:
- Face To Face
The program consists of:
- Four classes in computer information systems
- Four classes in statistics
- Three professional science classes, including an internship
- One elective course
Students are expected to complete field experiences and collaborative assignments and projects.
For general requirements for graduate admission, visit Grand Valley State University’s admission section of the online catalog.
Admission into the data science and analytics program has additional requirements, which are available on this page.
If you have additional questions, please contact our graduate admissions office.
“What abilities make a data scientist successful? Think of him or her as a hybrid of data hacker, analyst, communicator, and trusted adviser. The combination is extremely powerful, and rare... A good data scientist will have many doors open to him or her, and salaries will bid upward.”
HARVARD BUSINESS REVIEW