Nursing is an exciting profession that is responsive to changes in health care. An increasing focus on health promotion and maintenance, and technological advancements in the treatment of illness, has placed new demands on health care providers. Professional nurses are needed to provide evidence-based solutions to critical problems, improve patient safety through risk reduction, and illness and disease management at the point of care.
Visit the program website for more information.
Listen to Podcast
The Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) program prepares professional nurses as advanced generalists to serve as leaders within the health care system. The program is fully online; choose from full-time and part-time schedules to integrate graduate school into your busy life. The MSN offers options with specialization in:
- Clinical nurse leader
- Palliative and hospice care
Why Study Nursing at Grand Valley?
- The MSN program is made for working nurses and all courses are delivered fully online.
- You will have access to a dedicated full-time placement coordinator who manages all of your clinical placements and academic advisors who create tailored program plans for each student.
- Graduate assistantships, scholarships, financial aid, and Laker Lifetime Learning (L3) commitment available to those who qualify.
- Highly qualified faculty are invested in student success and relevant coursework.
- Grand Valley is highly respected by employers across the region, and the nursing programs are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, ccneaccreditation.org.
This tool shows an overview of potential career opportunities for this major. Actual salaries, employment opportunities, and job titles may change over time.
Location & Format
Classes for the program are fully online.Format:
The MSN curriculum is designed to provide students with the leadership skills essential for the integration of evidence-based practice at the patient-provider interface and coordination of the care delivery process that will improve client outcomes in a cost-effective, fiscally responsible manner.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis, with deadline for fall enrollment May 1. Applications received after that date accepted based on space available. The $30 nonrefundable application fee is waived if the applicant has previously applied to GVSU.
Admission to the MSN program requires the following:
- Submit the GVSU graduate application specifying the M.S.N. option.
- Transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate programs that verify completion of a baccalaureate degree in nursing from a CONE-, CCNE-, or NLN-accredited school. GPA will be calculated using all college coursework. 3.0/4.0 is required.
- Current curriculum vitae or résumé.
- Educational and professional goal statement. The statement must articulate an area of focus (advanced generalist) and describe how attaining a graduate nursing degree will facilitate goal achievement. The statement should be approximately two typed, double-spaced pages.
- Scholarly writing exercise submission using the guidelines in the online application.
- Qualifying interview with KCON faculty.
- Test scores from the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language), IELTS (International English Language Testing System), PTE (Pearson Test of English Academic), or Duolingo Test for applicants whose native language is not English. Only original score reports will be accepted.
Additional information can be found here.
For More InformationM.S.N. Program
333 Michigan St NE, Ste. 410
Katherine Moran, DNP, RN, CDCES,
“Grand Valley's M.S.N. program has enhanced my knowledge of nursing to a systems level by providing a curriculum with a wide range of topics, from nursing in politics to leadership. I look forward to future possibilities of professional growth in several areas in which the Advanced Generalist, with a clinical nurse leader certificate, has prepared me to enter.”
ARE YOU A GVSU ALUM?
When you became a Laker, you opened up a lifetime of learning, and now alumni like you can use your Laker Lifetime Learning (L3) account for classes that provide greater knowledge and new skills. Your account is waiting for you to use for future classes at GVSU. All you have to do is click on the button below to find out more.Find Out More About Your Laker Lifetime Learning Account (L3)