LAKERS TOGETHER: Find out how we're moving forward. Learn about campus safety measures including testing, face coverings and vaccines.
Clinical Dietetics, M.S.
Clinical dietetics is a systematic approach to treating medical conditions, complex disease processes and their associated symptoms through medical nutrition therapy (MNT). The registered dietitian nutritionist (RDN) uses and applies advanced nutrition knowledge, MNT, and the nutrition care process to promote health and prevent disease.
Clinical dietetics is a five-semester program which results in the award of a master's degree and a verification statement for completion of supervised practice. Graduates are eligible to take the national registration examination offered through the Commission on Dietetic Registration. Upon successful passing of the examination the graduate is awarded the RDN credential.
The program provides the opportunity for students to build on their broad knowledge and attain deeper comprehension and skill in practice. Specialized knowledge allows RDNs to be more competitive in practice now and in the future. This is a benefit not only to the practitioner, but also for their patients and clients.
Why Study Clinical Dietetics at Grand Valley?
- Hands-on learning in state-of-the-art facilities, including simulation, nutritional assessment, and standardized patient laboratories ensure experiential learning.
- Employment opportunities are expected to increase 15 percent by 2026, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- Health care professionals with advanced degrees tend to attain a higher profile within their profession.
- A clinical nutrition manager with a master's degree earns an
average of $13 more per hour than an RDN with a bachelor's degree,
according to the 2019 Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Compensation and Benefits Report.
- Accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics of The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 120 South Riverside Plaza, Suite 2190, Chicago, IL 60606-6995, (312) 899-5400.