LAKERS TOGETHER: COVID vaccine required by September 30. Face coverings required indoors.
Piano Pedagogy undergraduate certificate
For piano majors, current teachers, and all those interested in teaching piano.
The Piano Pedagogy certification is 12 credits: seven credits of pedagogy, and five credits of related electives covering topics such as:
- Piano lessons
- Collaborative piano
- Piano literature
- Child development
- Beginning ballet
- Chamber music ensembles
The certification will appear on participants' academic transcript and each graduate will receive a printed certificate.
About Dr. Helen Marlais
Helen Marlais is a prolific author in the field of educational piano books and is published by The FJH Music Company Inc. Her critically acclaimed and award-winning piano series' are designed to guide students from the beginner through advanced levels. Her books are used throughout the English-speaking world and have been translated into Korean, Taiwanese, and Chinese. She performs and gives workshops and masterclasses throughout the country, internationally, and at all of the national music teachers' conventions.
Why Study Piano Pedagogy at Grand Valley?
- Enable participants to focus on the skills necessary for successful teaching.
- Equip participants with theoretical knowledge and practical experiences in accordance with state and national piano teaching guidelines.
- Share best-practice pedagogy skills to instruct beginner, intermediate, and early-advanced students.
- Explore the pedagogy behind teaching technique, musicianship, and reading skills.
- Develop skills for selecting repertoire.
- Show how to adapt one's teaching to different learning styles and demonstrate how to motivate and encourage effective practice habits.
- Include hands-on guided teaching experiences.
- Begin preparation for MTNA national certification.