Intercultural Communications Undergraduate Certificate
The intercultural communications certificate prepares you with skills
in effective communication within and across diverse international
Core courses ground you in cultural competency, written and spoken discourse, and experiential learning. You will demonstrate effective multimodal persuasion and messaging that you can apply within a range of workplace, digital, and societal settings. Skills development is enhanced through interdisciplinary electives that situate global communication skills within particular job sectors and/or contexts.
Contact the department to speak with a faculty advisor who can help you plan the best and most direct course to complete the certificate requirements.
Why Study Intercultural Communications at Grand Valley?
- You will demonstrate effective communication skills that can be applied within a range of workplace, digital, and societal settings.
- You can create stackable credentials that enhance your degree and bolster your resume.
- You can complete the certificate in one year or less.
For new students, visit the Admissions website for undergraduate requirements. Upon acceptance and for current students:
- Declare your certificate via myBanner (Login to Banner Self-Service, click on Student, Student Records, Add a Certificate or Badge to your Program, Select the appropriate certificate from the drop down list, and click Submit)
- Speak with the appropriate certificate coordinator to ensure criteria are being met (you will be able to track your progress toward the certificate in myPath as well!)
- Once you are done with the requirements, apply to receive the certificate via myBanner.
- Once the completion of your certificate has been verified, the certificate will be posted to your student record and will be viewable on your transcript.
Location & Format
This program is available fully online.Format:
Core courses, eight credits:
- ITC 100 - Introduction to Intercultural Competence
- WRT 354 - Writing in the Global Context: Culture, Technology, and Language Practices
- ITC 490 - Practicum: Intercultural Learning Experience
Electives, six credits. Students are required to select one course from each category.
Media, Modes, and Methods (Choose one):
- COM 378 - Intercultural Communications
- DS/ENG 314 - Digital Literacies
- INT 331 - Person and Profession in a Global Environment
- REL 335 - Sacred Texts, Global Contexts
Theory Into Practice (Choose one):
- COM 438 - Communications Ethics
- DS/CJ 335 - Digital Crime, Media, and Culture
- DS 360 - Ethics of Digital Culture
- WRT 350 - Business Communication
- WRT 351 - Writing for the Web