Interprofessional Health Informatics Graduate Certificate
The graduate certificate in health informatics is designed to prepare individuals interested in gaining comprehensive knowledge and skills in the design, utilization, evaluation, and clinical processes of health informatics. The certificate draws from the expertise found in our nursing, health informatics and bioinformatics, and public administration graduate programs.
Listen to Podcast
Optimal use of health information technology (HIT) is a priority for the transformation of healthcare. As healthcare systems across the nation implemented HIT in inpatient settings over the past decade, emerging HIT fields now extend beyond acute care to include population health informatics, data analytics, and telemedicine. This certificate is theory-based with an emphasis on practical application by clinicians, information technology professionals, and public health administration professionals.
This graduate certificate is designed for those in health professions who seek to develop expertise in the field. This includes nurses and health professionals, administration, and those in the information technology/information sciences.
Why Study Health Informatics at Grand Valley?
- Provides a unique opportunity to pursue a theoretically based and practically oriented education to effectively meet the contemporary needs of health organizations and society.
- Prepares experienced collaborators who anticipate risks and advocate for integrated and cost-effective approaches to care.
- Develops proficient experts who identify gaps and fragmentation in care and address needs individually or as defined for specific patient populations.
- Cultivates confident leaders who positively impact quality, cost and patient health outcomes.
- The hybrid format is ideal for working adults through online coursework and high-impact in-seat classes in downtown Grand Rapids.
- The certificate is nine credits and can be completed in two to four semesters.
This tool shows an overview of potential career opportunities for this major. Actual salaries, employment opportunities, and job titles may change over time.
Location & Format
Classes for the program are a combination of online and in-seat on the GVSU Health Campus, near the Grand Rapids Medical Mile.Format:
Pre-requisite: Applicants without healthcare experience as defined by the admission requirements will be required to take PHN 630 - Health Administration and Service.
The certificate content will be delivered in a series of three
courses. Choose one of the following three credit courses:
- CIS 661 - Introduction to Health and Bioinformatics, OR
- CIS 665 - Clinical Information Systems, OR
- NUR 703 - Health Care Informatics
Two elective courses, six credits:
- CIS 635 - Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining
- CIS 660 - Information Management and Science
- NUR 705 - Healthcare Decision Support
- NUR 706 - Telehealth
- PHN 646 - Managerial Epidemiology for Health Administrators
Applications accepted throughout the year for fall cohort start. The $30 nonrefundable application fee is waived if the applicant has previously applied to GVSU.
- Completed bachelor's degree in a health profession, health administration, or computing information sciences field. You must submit an official transcript from your baccalaureate degree granting institution. Individuals with no healthcare experience will need a prerequisite introduction to healthcare course.
- Completed online application with an educational and professional goal statement
- Curriculum vitae or resume
For More InformationKirkhof College of Nursing
333 Michigan St., Suite 415
Anirudh Chowdhary, PSM.
Raymond Higbea, Ph.D.
Katherine Moran, DNP, RN, CDE,
Kirkhof College of Nursing Office of Student Services
ARE YOU A GVSU ALUM?
When you became a Laker, you opened up a lifetime of learning, and now alumni like you can use your Laker Lifetime Learning (L3) account for classes that provide greater knowledge and new skills. Your account is waiting for you to use for future classes at GVSU. All you have to do is click on the button below to find out more.Find Out More About Your Laker Lifetime Learning Account (L3)