Health and Physical Education, B.S.
Health and physical educators are certified teachers for preschool through 12th grade students. The degree offers a variety of experiences with students in school settings. Graduates are prepared to be leaders in their field, positively impacting communities.
The Bachelor of Science degree in health and physical education reflects the national Society of Health and Physical Educators standards. The program provides high-impact experiences for students to become qualified educators.
Why Study Health and Physical Education at Grand Valley?
- In addition to a strong foundation in liberal arts, the program provides students with a broad theoretical and conceptual foundation for professional teacher preparation.
- Faculty members provide personal attention in courses and field
experiences in student-oriented, teaching-focused program.
- There are opportunities for fieldwork and student teaching experiences in diverse settings within the State of Michigan.
- Faculty and students travel to state and national conventions to engage with the professional communities of health and physical education.
- Graduates experience a consistently high pass rate for the Michigan Test for Teacher Certification.
This tool shows an overview of potential career opportunities for this major. Actual salaries, employment opportunities, and job titles may change over time.
Location & Format
Undergraduate students in this major study at the Grand Valley Allendale Campus.
- Face To Face
- Early childhood movement
- Health and fitness concepts
- Rhythms and dance
- Teaching students with disabilities
- Outdoor education
- Reproductive health
- Teaching sports skills
- Fieldwork with PreK through 12th grade students
Combined Degree Programs
This undergraduate degree can be combined with a master's degree to save you time and money, and get you into the workforce sooner. On average, students save $8,500 in our combined degree programs and take up to four fewer classes than if earning the degrees separately.
You can even build your own combined degree from programs in different disciplines to further personalize your education and meet specific career goals.
REAL-WORLD EXPERIENCEHands-on learning and other fieldwork not only deepen your mastery of your discipline but also give you the edge employers seek. Visit our experience matters page to see the work GVSU students are doing in their co-ops and internships.
Visit the Admissions website for undergraduate requirements.
For More InformationDepartment of Movement Science
“I have been provided with so many resources, and received so many opportunities to help me get started and advance in a career. There's such a good community of professors and students at Grand Valley who have helped instill confidence in me, and helped me feel assured that I'll be able to succeed after college.”
PHYSICAL EDUCATION MAJOR