Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Graduate Certificate
This certificate program prepares nurse practitioners to fill the
workforce gaps in the mental health system, offering an important
perspective on both the physical and mental health needs of people who
This certificate fills a significant and severe community need, preparing advance practice psychiatric mental health nurse practitioners (PMHNPs) to provide advanced mental health treatment to individuals with mental health disorders. Advanced care includes capacity to use individual and family counseling, as well as prescribe and manage psychiatric medications. These advanced mental health treatments are built on a foundation of advanced pathophysiology, pharmacology, and physical assessment.
- Minimum 3.0 GPA at the graduate level.
- Graduate of accredited Advance Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) MSN or DNP program with a specialty focus of Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS), Nurse Practitioner (NP), Certified Nurse Midwife (CNM) or Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA).
- Licensed as a registered nurse (RN) in the State of Michigan.
- Completed online application with an educational and professional goal statement.
- Curriculum vitae or resume.
- Interview with KCON faculty.
- Successful completion of background check and drug screen, as well as compliance with health records, immunizations, and other KCON graduate program requirements.
Why Study Nursing at Grand Valley?
- PMHNPs are uniquely prepared to fill the workforce gaps in the mental health system and are in high demand.
- The hybrid format is ideal for working adults through online coursework and convenient in-seat classes at the Cook-DeVos Center for Health Sciences (CHS) in downtown Grand Rapids.
- The certificate can be completed in four semesters.
This tool shows an overview of potential career opportunities for this major. Actual salaries, employment opportunities, and job titles may change over time.
Location & Format
Classes for the program are a combination of online and in-seat on the GVSU Health Campus, near the Grand Rapids Medical Mile.Format:
Courses focus on growth and development across a person's lifespan, psychopharmacology, theories of mental health and personality, treatment modalities (individual, group, and family), and practicum experiences.
This program is in a hybrid format, combining online learning with high impact, in-person experiences. The certificate can be completed in 13 to 19 credits, depending on previously completed coursework.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis, but the fully completed application must be submitted a minimum of 30 days prior to the intended semester of enrollment. The $30 nonrefundable application fee is waived if the applicant has previously applied to GVSU.
- Graduate of an accredited Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) M.S.N., or D.N.P. program
- Currently certified as a CNS, NP, CNM or CRNA
- Minimum of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale; you must submit an official transcript from your baccalaureate degree granting institution
- Curriculum vitae or resume
- Licensed as an RN in the State of Michigan
- Educational and professional goal statement
- Qualifying interview with KCON faculty
- Test scores on TOEFL, PTE, IELT, or MELAB for applicants whose native language is not English
- Successful completion of background check and drug screen
- Compliance with health records, immunizations, and other KCON graduate program requirements
For More InformationKirkhof College of Nursing
Kristin Norton, Director, Office of Student Services
DeVos Center for Interprofessional Health
333 Michigan St. NE Suite 410
Katherine Moran, DNP, CDCES. FADCES. FNAP, Associate Dean for Graduate Programs and Research
ARE YOU A GVSU ALUM?
When you became a Laker, you opened up a lifetime of learning, and now alumni like you can use your Laker Lifetime Learning (L3) account for classes that provide greater knowledge and new skills. Your account is waiting for you to use for future classes at GVSU. All you have to do is click on the button below to find out more.Find Out More About Your Laker Lifetime Learning Account (L3)