Geographic Information Science (GIS) and Technology Undergraduate Certificate
The geographic information science (GIS) and technology certificate allows you to map, model, query, and analyze large quantities of data according to location. This technology benefits organizations in almost every industry. There is growing interest in the economic, environmental, and strategic planning value of GIS.
The program is designed for practical applications of geospatial technologies and working competency in GIS software such as ESRI ArcGIS, Business Analyst, TerrSet, and ERDAS Imagine.
Open for all majors.
Read about successful alumni at gvsu.edu/geography under the "Student Resources" tab.
Why Study GIS at Grand Valley?
- An emerging field. Geospatial technology is one of the most important emerging fields in the United States according to the U.S. Department of Labor.
- Marketability. GIS competency offers top jobs in a wide variety of sectors.
- A competitive edge. Studying these technologies will give you an edge over peers in the current job market.
- Practical application. You will learn practical skills that will benefit your future careers.
- Flexibility. You can attend full- or part-time. Any major combined with this certificate creates a new hybrid skill set.
- Affordability. Get an extra credential on your official transcript with little to no additional cost.
This tool shows an overview of potential career opportunities for this major. Actual salaries, employment opportunities, and job titles may change over time.
For new students, visit the Admissions website for undergraduate requirements. Upon acceptance and for current students:
- Declare your certificate via myBanner (Login to Banner Self-Service, click on Student, Student Records, Add a Certificate or Badge to your Program, Select the appropriate certificate from the drop down list, and click Submit)
- Speak with the appropriate certificate coordinator to ensure criteria are being met (you will be able to track your progress toward the certificate in myPath as well!)
- Once you are done with the requirements, apply to receive the certificate via myBanner.
- Once the completion of your certificate has been verified, the certificate will be posted to your student record and will be viewable on your transcript.
Location & Format
Undergraduate students in this program study at Grand Valley's Allendale Campus.Format:
- Face To Face
Complete a minimum of 13 credit hours. Up to six credits can be transferred from another institution (subject to content approval). Required courses:
- GPY 200 - Computer Cartography
- GPY 307 - Introduction to GIS
- GPY 407 - Advanced GIS
Plus one elective course, see catalog for list.