Foundations of Tax Practice Graduate Badge
A digital badge, or badge, is a record of achievement that recognizes a student's completion of a coherent and meaningful academic experience. GVSU offers both credit and non-credit bearing badges as digital credentials. Credit-bearing badges include anywhere from 0.5 to 15 academic credits and may include additional noncredit criteria. Credit-bearing badges are also posted to the academic transcript.
The School of Accounting's foundations of tax practice badge is designed to prepare you for entry-level tax research, planning, and preparation for corporations, partnerships, estates, gifts, and trusts, including tasks such as
- explaining the techniques of tax research and formal written communication;
- explaining the hierarchy of tax law sources, including the Internal Revenue Code, case law, administrative regulations and administrative ruling; and
- researching and providing tax law conclusions for tax issues posited by various tax fact patterns regarding taxability of corporations and their shareholders, transfer tax rules, and formation and operation of partnerships.
Why Earn a Digital Badge at Grand Valley?
- Completing a badge is an opportunity to highlight marketable and desirable skills to potential employers.
- Pursuing a badge, either in continuing education or while completing a degree, enhances your education.
- Digital badges can be displayed on social media, websites, and in emails.
- Badges are an efficient way to obtain a specialization and can be completed in a year.
- The four taxation badges will create stackable credentials towards earning a master's degree in taxation.
This tool shows an overview of potential career opportunities for this major. Actual salaries, employment opportunities, and job titles may change over time.
Seidman is accredited by the AACSB International.
Completion of a bachelor's degree in accounting is required for admission. You must submit an official transcript from your baccalaureate degree granting institution. To start your application, click here.
For current GVSU students:
- Declare your badge via myBanner. Login to Banner Self-Service, click on Student, Student Records, Add a Certificate or Badge to your Program, Select the appropriate badge from the drop down list, and click Submit.
- Speak with the appropriate badge coordinator to ensure criteria are being met. You will be able to track your progress toward the badge in myPath as well!
- Once you are done with the requirements, apply to receive the badge via myBanner.
- Once the completion of your badge has been verified, the badge will be posted to your student record and will be viewable on your transcript. In addition, your digital badge will be posted on Credly.com.
Location & Format
Classes for the program are offered online or in-seat with online option downtown on the Pew Grand Rapids Campus in L. William Seidman Center in downtown Grand Rapids, MI.Formats:
The badge is comprised of four courses, three credits each.
- ACC 622 - Tax Research and Writing
- ACC 624 - Corporate Tax 1
- ACC 627 - Estate, Gift, and Trust 1
- ACC 629 - Partnership Taxation
The badge is not a degree or certificate; however, if you choose to continue, completion of this badge and the other three taxation specialization badges will create stackable credentials towards earning a master's degree in taxation.
Admission to the Seidman College of Business and completion of the capstone required to earn the MST, talk to a counselor for details.
For general requirements for graduate admission, visit Grand Valley State University’s admission section of the online catalog.
If you have additional questions, please contact our graduate admissions office.
For More InformationSeidman College of Business
50 Front Ave SW, suite 1031