LAKERS TOGETHER: Find out how we're moving forward.
Sustainable Food Systems undergraduate certificate
Strong local food systems are essential for healthy communities. Students preparing for careers in local food enterprises, health care, sustainability, education, business, nonprofit administration, social work, and many other fields will benefit from the skills and experience necessary to address the role of food in community life.
Why Study Sustainable Food Systems at Grand Valley?
- A deep understanding of sustainable food systems and the effects on society and the environment.
- Practical gardening, recycling and composting skills.
- Hands-on experience at the GVSU Sustainable Agriculture Project's Luce Street farm site.
- Broad interdisciplinary understanding of and integration of multiple perspectives on food systems, food justice, environmental stewardship, nutrition, and community.
- An understanding of food needs of different communities.
- The ability to take action that supports local food production and environmental stewardship for the next generation.