LAKERS TOGETHER: Find out how we're moving forward. Learn about campus safety measures including testing, face coverings and vaccines.
Advanced American Sign Language undergraduate badge
A badge is a digital record of achievement that recognizes completion of a coherent and meaningful academic experience. You can link your digital badges to online résumés and portfolios, career websites, or social media. This gives you a way to share experiences, competencies, or knowledge with current and future employers, professional and community organizations, recruiters, and graduate programs.
This badge signifies advanced skills in communicating in American Sign Language (ASL) along with knowledge of the important events, struggles, and experiences that have shaped, and continue to shape, the American Deaf Community. This badge is not a credential for interpreting between English and American Sign Language. The Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs administers credentials for interpreting in Michigan.
Anyone admitted to Grand Valley as a degree-seeking or nondegree seeking learner may complete this badge.
Why Earn an Advanced ASL Badge at Grand Valley?
- Learn a unique visual, spatial language.
- Learn about the rich culture of the American Deaf community.
- Develop the language skills to communicate with future Deaf clients/patients/customers.
- Boost personal cognitive function, creative- and abstract thinking, and hand-eye coordination.
- Completing a badge is an opportunity to highlight marketable and desirable skills to potential employers while enhancing your education.
- Badges are an efficient way to obtain a specialization, and can be completed in a year.