Public History Undergraduate Badge
A badge is a digital record of achievement that recognizes completion of a coherent and meaningful academic experience. You can link your digital badges to online résumés and portfolios, career websites, or social media. This gives you a way to share experiences, competencies, or knowledge with current and future employers, professional and community organizations, recruiters, and graduate programs.
Public history encompasses the varieties of ways in which history and historical methods are utilized in the world. This badge allows students to enhance their degree program through place-based and community engaged projects drawing on current practices and methodologies. It will also allow students interested in public history professions, or just generally interested in learning the knowledge and skills involved in public history, to highlight their background to potential employers and graduate school programs.
Students must be degree seeking in order to earn this badge.
Why Earn a Public History Badge at Grand Valley?
- Work as part of a team to create a real-world project or exhibit.
- Research and collaborate with community partners to create historical narratives.
- Make connections in theory and practice across multiple classes.
- Explore the exciting field of public history and the many careers it offers.
- Learn professional practices for historical institutions like museums, archives, historical societies, and more.
This tool shows an overview of potential career opportunities for this major. Actual salaries, employment opportunities, and job titles may change over time.
Admissions to complete a digital badge is open to both degree and nondegree seeking students. If you are not currently a Grand Valley student, start your application here.
For current GVSU students:
- Declare your badge via myBanner. Login to Banner Self-Service, click on Student, Student Records, Add a Certificate or Badge to your Program, Select the appropriate badge from the drop down list, and click Submit.
- Speak with the appropriate badge coordinator to ensure criteria are being met. You will be able to track your progress toward the badge in myPath as well!
- Once you are done with the requirements, apply to receive the badge via myBanner.
- Once the completion of your badge has been verified, the badge will be posted to your student record and will be viewable on your transcript. In addition, your digital badge will be posted on Credly.com.
Location & Format
Undergraduate students in this program study at Grand Valley's Allendale Campus.Format:
- Face To Face
The courses for the badge were specifically created to provide students the opportunity to enhance their degree programs and to explore potential career paths. The badge also draws on the expertise of our public history colleagues and their work within a range of community settings.
The digital badge is comprised of three (three credit) courses, a total of nine credits:
- HST 405 - Local and Community History
- HST 415 - Museum Studies
- HST 420 - Introduction to Public History