LAKERS TOGETHER: Find out how we're moving forward. Learn about campus safety measures including testing, face coverings and vaccines.
Public History undergraduate badge
A badge is a digital record of achievement that recognizes completion of a coherent and meaningful academic experience. You can link your digital badges to online résumés and portfolios, career websites, or social media. This gives you a way to share experiences, competencies, or knowledge with current and future employers, professional and community organizations, recruiters, and graduate programs.
Public history encompasses the varieties of ways in which history and historical methods are utilized in the world. This badge allows students to enhance their degree program through place-based and community engaged projects drawing on current practices and methodologies. It will also allow students interested in public history professions, or just generally interested in learning the knowledge and skills involved in public history, to highlight their background to potential employers and graduate school programs.
Students must be degree seeking in order to earn this badge.
Why Earn a Public History Badge at Grand Valley?
- Work as part of a team to create a real-world project or exhibit.
- Research and collaborate with community partners to create historical narratives.
- Make connections in theory and practice across multiple classes.
- Explore the exciting field of public history and the many careers it offers.
- Learn professional practices for historical institutions like museums, archives, historical societies, and more.