Cannabis Operations Undergraduate Badge
A badge is a digital record of achievement that recognizes completion of a coherent and meaningful academic experience. You can link your digital badges to online résumés and portfolios, career websites, and social media. This gives you a way to share experiences, competencies, and knowledge with current and future employers, professional and community organizations, recruiters, and graduate programs.
The Hospitality and Tourism Management's (HTM) badge in cannabis operations (not a degree or a certificate) is designed to prepare students who work or aspire to work in the retail cannabis industry or ancillary fields.
This badge is open and available to currently enrolled Grand Valley State University students by selecting it in Banner. Non-degree seeking students can apply for the badge online; contact HTM for more information.
Mastering the skills and topics in the badge will prepare you to:
- Understand cannabis operations from a holistic perspective. This includes historical stigma, prohibition, legislative reform, and current allowed adult usage.
- Recognize complexities associated with reform, social justice, and restorative justice.
- Identify cannabis' social, economic, and environmental impacts on tourism communities and hospitality organizations.
- Develop an understanding of the importance of cannabis retail management to the cannabis industry and local communities.
- Understand appropriate practices to purchase, store, and distribute various types of cannabis products.
- Explain both the positive and negative practices associated with cannabis use and legislative reform, both health-related and sociological.
Why Earn a Cannabis Operations Badge at Grand Valley?
- Prepare for employment in the lucrative retail cannabis industry, which is on track to employ more than a half million workers by 2024.
- Develop ethical and appropriate best business practices.
- Learn about cultivation, usage, and social equity programs.
- Add highly marketable and desirable skills to your resume for potential employers, while enhancing your education.
- Badges are an efficient way to obtain a specialization, and can be completed in a year.
Admissions to complete a digital badge is open to both degree and nondegree seeking students. If you are not currently a Grand Valley student, start your application here.
For current GVSU students:
- Declare your badge via myBanner. Login to Banner Self-Service, click on Student, Student Records, Add a Certificate or Badge to your Program, Select the appropriate badge from the drop down list, and click Submit.
- Speak with the appropriate badge coordinator to ensure criteria are being met. You will be able to track your progress toward the badge in myPath as well!
- Once you are done with the requirements, apply to receive the badge via myBanner.
- Once the completion of your badge has been verified, the badge will be posted to your student record and will be viewable on your transcript. In addition, your digital badge will be posted on Credly.com.
Location & Format
This program can be completed fully online.Format:
The digital badge is comprised of three three-credit courses, a total of nine credits:
- HTM 217 - Cannabis and Culture
- HTM 242 - Cannabis Regulations and Tourism
- HTM 317 - Responsible Cannabis Operations
This badge can be completed online.