Health Information Management, B.S.
Health information management (HIM) is the practice of managing medical information that is vital to providing quality patient care. HIM organizes health data by ensuring its quality, accuracy, accessibility, and security. Managers regularly communicate with health care professionals to clarify diagnoses or to obtain additional information.
The HIM program is a secondary admission program. Students pursuing this degree will also complete a minor in health care information systems through the School of Computing and Information Systems (CIS). All HIM and CIS (major and minor) classes are fully online. Completed applications are due March 1. Minimum criteria:
- Minimum GPA of 2.5
- Completion of 45 semester hours, which includes current enrollment, verified by transcript
- No grade less than a C in BMS 250, BMS 251, and AHS 100
Why Study Health Information Management at Grand Valley?
- This program can be completed fully online.
- The minor in health care information systems is unique to the HIM degree at GVSU, providing additional employment opportunities for students after graduation
- Software technology used in curriculum is paid for by the Allied Health Sciences department.
- Graduates are key players in interprofessional health care organizations. High job placement offers the potential for maximum return on investment.
- Students are able to sit for the Registered Health Information Administrator certification exam.
This tool shows an overview of potential career opportunities for this major. Actual salaries, employment opportunities, and job titles may change over time.
Location & Format
This program can be completed fully online.Format:
HIM administrators must be familiar with electronic health record (EHR) computer software, maintaining EHR security, and analyzing electronic data to improve healthcare information.
Areas of study include:
- ICD-10-CM/PCS and CPT/HCPCS Coding
- Quality in health care
- Health care law
- Leadership practices in HIM
- Strategic planning in HIM
- Field practicum in HIM
REAL-WORLD EXPERIENCEHands-on learning and other fieldwork not only deepen your mastery of your discipline but also give you the edge employers seek. Visit our experience matters page to see the work GVSU students are doing in their co-ops and internships.
The HIM program is a secondary admission program. The admissions process will take place winter semester and will require an HIM application by March 1, prior to the intended fall entry. The minimum criteria for application includes: