The philosophy program is designed for students who are interested in examining life's deepest questions and applying this study to the community and world.
Philosophy graduates receive a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree. The curriculum is designed to facilitate interdisciplinary study.
Why Study Philosophy at Grand Valley?
- The program emphasizes learning the history of philosophy as the foundation for further study and application.
- Courses are offered in all major contemporary schools of philosophical thought as well as in non-Western traditions.
- The study of philosophy is an excellent preparation for a wide variety of careers.
- Study abroad programs directed by faculty members are especially beneficial for students. The GVSU Summer School in China represents a rare opportunity to study many aspects of Chinese culture, including Buddhist, Daoist, and Confucian philosophy in China.
- The Undergraduate Teaching Apprentice Program, Philosophy Colloquium/Speakers Series, and the Philosophical Society of GVSU offer out-of-classroom opportunities.