Embedded Systems Graduate Badge
A digital badge, or badge, is a record of achievement that recognizes a student's completion of a coherent and meaningful academic experience. GVSU offers both credit and non-credit bearing badges as digital credentials. Credit-bearing badges include anywhere from 0.5 to 15 academic credits and may include additional noncredit criteria. Credit-bearing badges are also posted to the academic transcript.
The School of Engineering's embedded systems badge (not a degree or certificate) is designed to prepare students in the following areas:
- Develop and debug basic computer programs for engineering applications using structured programming language and interactive development environment.
- Understand the internal architecture and interfacing of different peripheral devices with microcontrollers.
- Integrate hardware and software to design microcontroller-based applications to control an electromechanical system.
- Write necessary firmware for implementing a rudimentary real-time operating system using assembly and other programming languages.
- Understand the working of digital and analog interfaces with the microcontrollers.
Why Earn a Digital Badge at Grand Valley?
- Badges document knowledge, skills, and competencies you've gained through various learning and professional development opportunities.
- Pursuing a badge, either in continuing education or while completing a degree, can enhance your education.
- Digital badges can be displayed on social media, websites, and in emails.
- Completing a badge is an opportunity for you to highlight particularly marketable and desirable skills to potential employers.
- This badge can be earned in two semesters.
This tool shows an overview of potential career opportunities for this major. Actual salaries, employment opportunities, and job titles may change over time.
Completion of a Bachelor's degree, and evidence of structured programming skill is required for admission. You must submit an official transcript from your baccalaureate degree granting institution. To start your application, click here.
For current GVSU students:
- Declare your badge via myBanner. Login to Banner Self-Service, click on Student, Student Records, Add a Certificate or Badge to your Program, Select the appropriate badge from the drop down list, and click Submit.
- Speak with the appropriate badge coordinator to ensure criteria are being met. You will be able to track your progress toward the badge in myPath as well!
- Once you are done with the requirements, apply to receive the badge via myBanner.
- Once the completion of your badge has been verified, the badge will be posted to your student record and will be viewable on your transcript. In addition, your digital badge will be posted on Credly.com.
Location & Format
Classes for the program are on the Robert C. Pew Grand Rapids Campus.Format:
- Face To Face
The embedded systems badge is two courses, four credits each:
- EGR 524 Design of Microcontroller Applications
- EGR 536 Embedded Systems Interface
For general requirements for graduate admission, visit Grand Valley State University’s admission section of the online catalog.
If you have additional questions, please contact our graduate admissions office.