The program prepares students to use a combination of geology and chemistry to study the earth, solve problems related to our environment, and find mineral and energy resources.
The program offers a broad and rigorous curriculum, including field, laboratory, classroom, and research experiences to best prepare students for a broad range of geoscience-related career opportunities. Minors in geology and earth science are also offered. Visit gvsu.edu/geology for details.
Why Study Geology-Chemistry at Grand Valley?
- Students are immersed in a community of accomplished faculty members and engaged students, complemented by invaluable learning experiences outside the classroom.
- Students often conduct field studies and educational research where they can apply their earth science knowledge in real-world situations.
- Individually mentored educational, curriculum, or geologic research opportunities are available to undergraduate students.
- Students routinely attend and/or present their work at national, state, or regional professional meetings.
- Student-run clubs meet regularly and organize events, including speakers and field experiences that build networking, industry knowledge, and real-world experiences.
This tool shows an overview of potential career opportunities for this major. Actual salaries, employment opportunities, and job titles may change over time.
Location & Format
Undergraduate students in this major study at Grand Valley's Allendale Campus.
- Face To Face
The program consists of coursework in the geosciences, chemistry, physics and mathematics. Subjects include:
- Earth history
- Geographic information systems
- Instrumental analysis
- Organic chemistry
- Physical chemistry
- Plate tectonics
- Quantitative analysis
Combined Degree Programs
This undergraduate degree can be combined with a master's degree to save you time and money, and get you into the workforce sooner. On average, students save $8,500 in our combined degree programs and take up to four fewer classes than if earning the degrees separately.
You can even build your own combined degree from programs in different disciplines to further personalize your education and meet specific career goals.
Visit the Admissions website for undergraduate requirements.
“This program offers opportunities to become academically involved and form close connections with faculty. The blend of geology and chemistry provides the knowledge to prepare you for a range of successful career paths.”
ALUMNA, GRADUATE STUDENT
“Gaining a strong background across both geology and chemistry has helped me become a more well-rounded scientist. The faculty works with you closely to ensure success at and beyond GVSU.”
ALUMNUS, ENVIRONMENTAL CONSULTANT