Health Informatics and Bioinformatics, M.S.
The Master of Science (M.S.) degree in health informatics and bioinformatics is a Professional Science Masters (PSM) program developed in parallel with the biostatistics, data science and analytics, and cell and molecular biology programs.
The medical and bioinformatics program has strong analytics, teamwork, business, communication, project management, and ethics components, and includes an intensive health or life science internship.
Why Study Health Informatics and Bioinformatics at Grand Valley?
- Innovative program designed to integrate university coursework with business and health industry internships to educate informatics professionals for the future.
- Collaboration with faculty members on ongoing research.
- Access to a high-performance computing laboratory for health informatics and bioinformatics needs.
- Qualified faculty members with a wide breadth of experience in industry and research.
- Financial Aid
- The Graduate School
- Course Catalog
- Health Informatics and Bioinformatics Programs
For More InformationSchool of Computing and Information Systems Health Informatics and Bioinformatics
C-2-100 Mackinac Hall
Location & Format
- Face To Face
The four PSM degree programs are interdisciplinary and feature common core courses. The health informatics and bioinformatics program features:
- Directed courses in health informatics and bioinformatics
- An internship
- A culminating capstone experience
Health informatics and bioinformatics prepares students for careers in:
- Hospital systems and other healthcare providers
- Health information technology system vendors
- Life sciences and pharmaceutical companies
- Government and non-governmental agencies
- Research institutes
Visit gvsu.edu/grad/bioinfo for more details.
Skills Employers Want
The M.S. in Health Informatics and Bioinformatics at GVSU will develop the skills you need to land the job you want. Whether the skills are advanced or general, you will build a resume of qualifications that are sure to attract employers. The following skills correlate with those pulled from actual job postings in the health and bioinformatics fields:
- Clinical Systems Analysts
- Programmer Analysts
- Clinical Scientists
- Clinical Informaticists
- Data Scientists
- Research Analysts
- Developmental Scientists
Source: EMSO, 2020
Deadline for fall semester is July 1; winter is November 1; and spring/summer is April 1. The $30 nonrefundable application fee is waived if the applicant has previously applied to Grand Valley State University. Please visit gvsu.edu/gradapply/.
In addition to the University requirements of admission, all students seeking a degree for the MS in Health and Bioinformatics must also meet the following requirements:
- U.S. students must have an overall undergraduate grade point average of at least 3.0 on a 4-point scale or a satisfactory score on the GRE or GMAT test. All international students must have a satisfactory score on the GRE or GMAT test, regardless of their undergraduate GPA.
- Resume detailing work experiences and accomplishments
- Personal statement of career goals and background experiences, including an explanation of how this program will help achieve educational and professional objectives
- Recommendations: Two professional or academic recommendations received online, addressing the candidates potential for graduate study completion. You will provide the emails of two references in your account on the graduate application page, and they will be sent a link to fill out for their online recommendation.
“Health and bioinformatics professionals are in growing demand. They need competencies in computer science, healthcare, biology, and statistics. Today's professionals have the unique opportunity of making best use of the large amount of data that is collected for healthcare and biological research.”
HEALTH INFORMATICS AND BIOINFORMATICS PROGRAM
ARE YOU A GVSU ALUM?
When you became a Laker, you opened up a lifetime of learning, and now alumni like you can use your Laker Lifetime Learning (L3) account for classes that provide greater knowledge and new skills. Your account is waiting for you to use for future classes at GVSU. All you have to do is click on the button below to find out more.Find Out More About Your Laker Lifetime Learning Account (L3)