Food and Beverage Service Undergraduate Badge
A digital badge, or badge, is a record of achievement that recognizes a student's completion of a coherent and meaningful academic experience. GVSU offers both credit and non-credit bearing badges as digital credentials. Credit-bearing badges include anywhere from 0.5 to 15 academic credits and may include additional noncredit criteria. Credit-bearing badges are also posted to the academic transcript.
Hospitality and tourism management (HTM) is a dynamic sector of the service industry encompassing a variety of careers that include lodging, recreation, leisure, club management, resort operations, travel, tourism, and event management.
The HTM badge in food and beverage service provides you with the knowledge and skills to work responsibly and productively in the food and beverage industry.
Why Study Food and Beverage Service at Grand Valley?
- Identify strategies to provide superior service to guests.
- Apply best practices in food safety.
- Develop procedures for proper ordering, receiving, storing, and issuing of food and supplies.
- Apply standard equipment purchasing and layout principles.
- Calculate and apply cost and revenue control systems.
- Explain basic nutritional issues associated with food production, preparation, and consumption.
- Demonstrate how various ingredients react to different forms of cookery.
- Explain food safety regulations, regulatory agencies, and inspection processes.
- Explain licensing issues related to food and beverage management.
- Develop a labor schedule.
This tool shows an overview of potential career opportunities for this major. Actual salaries, employment opportunities, and job titles may change over time.
Admissions to complete a digital badge is open to both degree and nondegree seeking students. If you are not currently a Grand Valley student, start your application here.
For current GVSU students:
- Declare your badge via myBanner. Login to Banner Self-Service, click on Student, Student Records, Add a Certificate or Badge to your Program, Select the appropriate badge from the drop down list, and click Submit.
- Speak with the appropriate badge coordinator to ensure criteria are being met. You will be able to track your progress toward the badge in myPath as well!
- Once you are done with the requirements, apply to receive the badge via myBanner.
- Once the completion of your badge has been verified, the badge will be posted to your student record and will be viewable on your transcript. In addition, your digital badge will be posted on Credly.com.
Location & Format
Classes for the program are a combination of online and in-seat on the Allendale Campus.Format:
This program is online, except for an HTM 250 lab session held in Allendale at The Meadows Golf Course. The digital badge is comprised of three courses, a total of eight credits:
- HTM 201 - Good Food Gone Bad: Food Safety for Everyone
- HTM 213 - Introduction to Food and Beverage Management
- HTM 250 - Food Production and Kitchen Management