Palliative and Hospice Care I Graduate Badge
A digital badge, or badge, is a record of achievement that recognizes a student's completion of a coherent and meaningful academic experience. GVSU offers both credit and non-credit bearing badges as digital credentials. Credit-bearing badges include anywhere from 0.5 to 15 academic credits and may include additional noncredit criteria. Credit-bearing badges are also posted to the academic transcript.
The palliative and hospice care model (Palliative and Hospice Care I) badge recognizes completion of a three credit graduate level course covering the history and philosophy of palliative and hospice care. In addition, current skills related to holistic assessment, communication, and ethical considerations in end-of-life care are presented and practiced.
Why Earn a Digital Badge at Grand Valley?
- Completing a badge is an opportunity to highlight marketable and desirable skills to potential employers.
- Pursuing a badge, either in continuing education or while completing a degree, enhances your education.
- Digital badges can be displayed on social media, websites, and in emails.
- Badges are an efficient way to obtain a specialization, and the P&HC I can be completed in one semester.
- Gain a deep understanding of the personal, professional and societal perspectives of delivering care to patients facing life-limiting disease, terminal illness and death.
Applicants should hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university; you must submit an official transcript from your baccalaureate degree granting institution. It is not required to be admitted to a graduate degree program to complete the badge. To start your application, click here.
For current GVSU students:
- Declare your badge via myBanner. Login to Banner Self-Service, click on Student, Student Records, Add a Certificate or Badge to your Program, Select the appropriate badge from the drop down list, and click Submit.
- Speak with the appropriate badge coordinator to ensure criteria are being met. You will be able to track your progress toward the badge in myPath as well!
- Once you are done with the requirements, apply to receive the badge via myBanner.
- Once the completion of your badge has been verified, the badge will be posted to your student record and will be viewable on your transcript. In addition, your digital badge will be posted on Credly.com.
Location & Format
This program can be completed online.Format:
The badge is comprised of one three credit course, NUR 581 - Chronic and Terminal illness: The Palliative/Hospice Model. The course will cover topics such as:
- End of life healthcare services
- Interprofessional approach
- Legal and ethical principles
- Palliative and hospice care barriers and facilitators
- Philosophy for practice of palliative and hospice care
- Cultural sensitivity
This class is offered fall semester fully online.
For general requirements for graduate admission, visit Grand Valley State University’s admission section of the online catalog.
If you have additional questions, please contact our graduate admissions office.