Palliative and Hospice Care I Graduate Badge
A badge is a digital record of achievement that recognizes completion of a coherent and meaningful academic experience. You can link your digital badges to online résumés and portfolios, career websites, or social media. This gives you a way to share experiences, competencies, and knowledge with current and future employers, professional and community organizations, recruiters, and graduate program advisors.
The palliative and hospice care model (Palliative and Hospice Care I) badge recognizes completion of a three credit graduate level course covering the history and philosophy of palliative and hospice care. In addition, current skills related to holistic assessment, communication, and ethical considerations in end-of-life care are presented and practiced.
Why Earn a Digital Badge at Grand Valley?
- Completing a badge is an opportunity to highlight marketable and desirable skills to potential employers.
- Pursuing a badge, either in continuing education or while completing a degree, enhances your education.
- Digital badges can be displayed on social media, websites, and in emails.
- Badges are an efficient way to obtain a specialization, and the P&HC I can be completed in one semester.
- Gain a deep understanding of the personal, professional and societal perspectives of delivering care to patients facing life-limiting disease, terminal illness and death.
Applicants should hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university; you must submit an official transcript from your baccalaureate degree granting institution. It is not required to be admitted to a graduate degree program to complete the badge. Contact the program director for admission.
For current GVSU students:
- Declare your badge via myBanner. Login to Banner Self-Service, click on Student, Student Records, Add a Certificate or Badge to your Program, Select the appropriate badge from the drop down list, and click Submit.
- Speak with the appropriate badge coordinator to ensure criteria are being met. You will be able to track your progress toward the badge in myPath as well!
- Once you are done with the requirements, apply to receive the badge via myBanner.
- Once the completion of your badge has been verified, the badge will be posted to your student record and will be viewable on your transcript. In addition, your digital badge will be posted on Credly.com.
Location & Format
This program can be completed online.Format:
The badge is comprised of one three credit course, NUR 581 - Chronic and Terminal illness: The Palliative/Hospice Model. The course will cover topics such as:
- End of life healthcare services
- Interprofessional approach
- Legal and ethical principles
- Palliative and hospice care barriers and facilitators
- Philosophy for practice of palliative and hospice care
- Cultural sensitivity
This class is offered fall semester fully online.
ARE YOU A GVSU ALUM?
When you became a Laker, you opened up a lifetime of learning, and now alumni like you can use your Laker Lifetime Learning (L3) account for classes that provide greater knowledge and new skills. Your account is waiting for you to use for future classes at GVSU. All you have to do is click on the button below to find out more.Find Out More About Your Laker Lifetime Learning Account (L3)