Education, School Counseling, M.Ed.
The Master of Education in school counseling prepares educators for careers as school counselors in PK-12 public, private, and charter schools. The program is approved by the Michigan Department of Education and guided by the American School Counselor Association National Model.
Listen to Podcast
The Master of Education (M.Ed.) in School Counseling includes important educational components for individuals who wish to become school counselors. The program is designed to prepare students with the skills needed to develop, manage, implement, and assess a comprehensive school counselor program.
Why Study School Counseling at Grand Valley?
- Flexible classes offered evenings, weekends, online/hybrid, and during summer make it easier for working adults to plan their schedules.
- Faculty members, with extensive experience as school counselors, support and encourage success among students in their academic endeavors at Grand Valley and later in their careers.
- Students have the opportunity for early exposure to area professionals through practica and internships in the field of school counseling.
- All emphasis-area courses, practica, and internships are specific
to PK-12 educational settings.
- Accredited by The Higher Learning Commission and a member of the North Central Association.
Grand Valley State University's College of Education and Community Innovation is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission and is a member of the North Central Association (NCA). The faculty are leaders in their fields, melding together the philosophy of education and your needs as a practitioner.
Location & Format
Classes for this major are a hybrid of face to face or online.Formats:
The school counseling program is guided by the American School Counselor Association National Model. It includes a minimum of 36 credits and is designed to be completed in two academic years for full-time students or a minimum of three academic years for part-time students. Subjects include:
- Anti-racist practices
- College and career readiness
- Social/emotional development
- Academic development
- Educational policy
- Counseling techniques
The curriculum prepares students for work in PK-12 school settings. Students have the opportunity to design their program of study with a targeted emphasis for elementary, middle, and/or high school students. The degree leads to a school counselor endorsement on a current teaching certificate or a school counselor license in Michigan.
Deadline for fall semester is July 15; winter, November 15; spring/summer, March 15.
Early application is strongly encouraged. Applications are semester specific, thus applications received after the deadline must be resubmitted for consideration. Late applicants should contact program director Judy Williams, [email protected]. The $30 nonrefundable application fee is waived if you have previously applied to GVSU.
- The Education programs have rolling admissions deadlines to ensure maximum flexibility for our applicants
- Up to 9 credit hours can be transferred from other institutions (many institutions only allow up to 6 transfer credits)
- Enrollment begins in mid-March for the following academic year to give students additional time to plan
- GVSU allows you up to 8 years to complete your graduate program (more time than most other institutions)
- You must submit an official transcript from all previous institutions
Visit the Education page for criteria and procedures.
International students, please note: This program does not offer enough consecutive physical classroom presence for a student to qualify for an F-1 visa.
For More InformationCollege of Education and Community Innovation
Judy Stearns Williams, M.S.
ARE YOU A GVSU ALUM?
When you became a Laker, you opened up a lifetime of learning, and now alumni like you can use your Laker Lifetime Learning (L3) account for classes that provide greater knowledge and new skills. Your account is waiting for you to use for future classes at GVSU. All you have to do is click on the button below to find out more.Find Out More About Your Laker Lifetime Learning Account (L3)