LAKERS TOGETHER: COVID vaccine required by September 30. Face coverings required indoors.
Cardiovascular Sonography, B.S.
Cardiovascular sonography, commonly known as an ultrasound, involves the use of imaging technology to assist in the process of medical diagnosis. Sonographers have skills that are utilized by many specialties, including cardiology, pediatric cardiology, and vascular surgery. Secondary admission.
The CVS program is a 20-month cohort program, which begins in the fall each year. Students are offered a position in one of the sonography majors: Cardiovascular Sonography (adult echocardiography, pediatric echocardiography, and vascular sonography) or Diagnostic Medical Sonography-General (abdominal and obstetrics/gynecology). Admittance is selectively granted to students who have completed two years of required general education and prerequisite courses. Student applications for placement in the fall cohort are due by February 1 every year. Applications are available online.
Why Study Cardiovascular Sonography at Grand Valley?
- GVSU is the only baccalaureate level sonography program in the state of Michigan. Strong curriculum and knowledgeable, clinically practicing faculty members prepare students for leadership within the field.
- Students enjoy small class sizes, a cohort educational experience, and clinical education at multiple physicians' offices and hospitals. The clinical site placements expose students to diverse experiences, allowing them to network across multiple health systems and develop broad skill sets.
- Laboratory facilities utilize state-of-the-art sonographic equipment to prepare students for current and emerging techniques and protocols.
- A commitment to quality is demonstrated through continuous accreditation by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs.
- Students are qualified to take national board registries through the American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonography before graduation, allowing them to become board-registered sonographers immediately upon graduation. GVSU's sonography programs are the only programs in the State of Michigan with this distinction.