Social Work, M.S.W.
The Master of Social Work (M.S.W.) program prepares you for advanced professional practice in social work, and in the development and implementation of social welfare policies and programs. The M.S.W. lays the foundation for you to assume leadership roles in society's institutions, organizations, and communities.
Visit the program website for more information.
Listen to Podcast
The M.S.W. 60 credit hour program is available on a full or part time basis, including 12 credit hours of field education. The curriculum incorporates a focus on CSWE core competencies. Advanced standing status, a 38 credit program with 8 field education hours, is for those who successfully completed a B.S.W. degree at a CSWE accredited program and meet other admission criteria. You may apply for the hybrid advanced standing program if eligible. Course requirements are available online.
- February 1 (spring/summer: advanced standing full time; weekend hybrid part time)
- March 15 (fall: advanced standing part time, regular standing full or part time, weekend hybrid part time)
- October 15 (winter: regular standing part time; weekend hybrid part time)
The $30 nonrefundable application fee is waived if you previously applied to GVSU. Please email [email protected] if you have any questions regarding application deadlines.
Why Study Social Work at Grand Valley?
- become a culturally competent practitioner in a complex society through field education and practice;
- be prepared to engage in grassroots, political, and community organizing, as well as electoral politics;
- become a skilled practitioner capable of assuming leadership and scholarly professional roles in regional, state, national, and global communities;
- contribute to the ongoing development of professional social work knowledge and practice through research and scholarly inquiry that employs state-of-the-art technology; and
- earn a degree that is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education.
This tool shows an overview of potential career opportunities for this major. Actual salaries, employment opportunities, and job titles may change over time.
The M.S.W. degree at Grand Valley State University is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education.
Location & Format
Classes for graduate students in this major meet downtown on the Robert C. Pew Grand Rapids Campus.Format:
- Face To Face
- Substance abuse
- Human behavior
- Community-based learning, including global and domestic service learning
- Clinical diagnosis
- Social research and policy
- Practice with individuals, groups, families, organizations and communities
There are several paths to admission into the social work program. Click here for more information.
For More InformationSchool of Social Work
391C DeVos Center
Paola Leon, Ph.D.
“The M.S.W. program at GVSU prepares students to practice at multiple levels as they meet the needs of a diverse society.”
ARE YOU A GVSU ALUM?
When you became a Laker, you opened up a lifetime of learning, and now alumni like you can use your Laker Lifetime Learning (L3) account for classes that provide greater knowledge and new skills. Your account is waiting for you to use for future classes at GVSU. All you have to do is click on the button below to find out more.Find Out More About Your Laker Lifetime Learning Account (L3)