LAKERS TOGETHER: Find out how we're moving forward. Learn about campus safety measures including testing, face coverings and vaccines.
Social Work, M.S.W.
The Master of Social Work (M.S.W.) program prepares you for advanced professional practice in social work, and in the development and implementation of social welfare policies and programs. The M.S.W. lays the foundation for you to assume leadership roles in society's institutions, organizations, and communities.
The M.S.W. 60 credit hour program is available on a full or part time basis, including 12 credit hours of field education. The curriculum incorporates a focus on CSWE core competencies. Advanced standing status, a 38 credit program with 8 field education hours, is for those who successfully completed a B.S.W. degree at a CSWE accredited program and meet other admission criteria. You may apply for the hybrid advanced standing program if eligible. Course requirements are available online.
- February 1 (spring/summer: advanced standing full time; weekend hybrid part time)
- March 15 (fall: advanced standing part time, regular standing full or part time, weekend hybrid part time)
- October 15 (winter: regular standing part time; weekend hybrid part time)
The $30 nonrefundable application fee is waived if you previously applied to GVSU. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions regarding application deadlines.
Why Study Social Work at Grand Valley?
- become a culturally competent practitioner in a complex society through field education and practice;
- be prepared to engage in grassroots, political, and community organizing, as well as electoral politics;
- become a skilled practitioner capable of assuming leadership and scholarly professional roles in regional, state, national, and global communities;
- contribute to the ongoing development of professional social work knowledge and practice through research and scholarly inquiry that employs state-of-the-art technology; and
- earn a degree that is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education.