In the tradition of education in modern languages and literatures at
Grand Valley State University, courses in the Arabic minor teach
different ways to reach linguistic proficiency and cultural
competence. The ability to listen, speak, write, and read in Arabic
expands the range of your communication skills and extends the breadth
of your world view.
The minor in Arabic concentrates on the two main vernaculars of Arabic, the standard language (Modern Standard Arabic) and some regional spoken varieties. The minor offers coursework that specifically targets cultural aspects and encourages you to immerse yourself in Arabic culture.
You are encouraged to participate in the Model Arab League simulation
held annually in February and field trips to cultural points of
interest locally and in the Detroit area.
Why Study Arabic at Grand Valley?
Grand Valley State University has unique benefits and resources that give language students an enhanced learning experience and level of expertise.
- Michigan is home to one of the largest Arab American communities in the United States.
- Learning Arabic helps students develop communication, writing, critical thinking, and cultural competency skills.
- Increased opportunities in Michigan to trade and do business with Arab countries.
- Unique learning opportunities through the Language Resource Center and study abroad.
For More InformationModern Languages and Literatures
Mackinac Hall B-2-243
Location & Format
Undergraduate students in this minor study at the Grand Valley Allendale Campus.Formats:
You must complete a minimum of 20 credit hours of coursework. This includes eight credits of required courses:
- ARA 201 - Intermediate Arabic I: Language and Culture
- ARA 202 - Intermediate Arabic II: Language and Culture
Complete the minor with your choice of four electives, 12 credits total, see catalog for details.
You can also fulfill some credits for the minor through study abroad options in consultation with the program coordinator.
Language majors and minors have a diverse assortment of careers available to them in fields like:
- International relations
- Health professions
- Social work