Art History, B.A.
The study of art history explores how societies and individuals have used the visual arts to convey the ideas and values that were important to them.
In addition to studying artists and their work, art historians study the interpretation of visual material and how it changes over time. The program is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design.
A minor in art history is also available.
Why Study Art History at Grand Valley?
- Examine the roles of visual media from diverse cultures and historical periods to gain an understanding of context and a global outlook that are necessary in our changing world.
- Learn in small classes that ensure individualized attention from faculty members at every level of the program.
- Benefit from a flexible, interdisciplinary curriculum that allows students to pursue a minor or double major while at GVSU.
- Develop the analytical abilities that are fundamental for the world of work and for engaged citizenship.
- Acquire the skills of self-advocacy essential for life after graduation.