Pedagogical Content Knowledge of Elementary Teaching (PCKET) B.A., B.S.
The Pedagogical Content Knowledge for Elementary Teaching (PCKET)
major is dedicated to developing the highest quality PK-6 teachers who
are grounded in the content of each of the subject-specific
disciplines, value interdisciplinary teaching and learning, support
diverse learners, and commit to the pursuit of academic, lifelong learning.
PCKET is designed for those seeking teacher certification at the elementary level. Students will pair this major with the Educational Studies or Special Education major. In addition, students can earn an endorsement in ESL or Spanish, and/or a concentration in one of the core disciplines: mathematics, English language arts, integrated science, or social studies. A Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science may be earned. For certification:
- complete both the PCKET major and the Educational Studies major or the Special Education major with a 2.7 GPA or better;
- have an overall 2.7 GPA or better; and
- pass the MTTC Elementary Education and endorsement-area tests.
Why Study PCKET at Grand Valley?
- PKCET is a teacher certification program that is customizable to students' specific areas of study.
- Grand Valley professors are both subject area experts and content pedagogy experts in their fields.
- The strong content pedagogical skills developed are valuable in settings outside the school system, where an understanding of effective teaching and learning is important.
- Extracurricular opportunities include participation in professional organizations, service learning in area schools, and becoming an active member of the community.
- Study abroad programs are designed to fit within the curriculum, providing students with the opportunity to travel and spend time in elementary classrooms around the world.
- Elementary education teachers with a Spanish endorsement or an ESL endorsement are in-demand locally and across the country.