Pedagogical Content Knowledge of Elementary Teaching (PCKET) B.A., B.S.
The Pedagogical Content Knowledge for Elementary Teaching (PCKET)
major is dedicated to developing the highest quality PK-6 educators --
teachers who are grounded in the content of each of the
subject-specific disciplines, value interdisciplinary teaching and
learning, support diverse learners, and commit to the pursuit of
academic, lifelong learning.
PCKET is designed for those seeking teacher certification at the elementary level. Students will pair this major with the Educational Studies or Special Education major. In addition, students can earn an endorsement in ESL or Spanish, and/or a concentration in one of the core disciplines: mathematics, English language arts, integrated science, or social studies. A Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science may be earned. For certification:
- complete both the PCKET major and the Educational Studies major or the Special Education major with a 2.7 GPA or better;
- have an overall 2.7 GPA or better; and
- pass the MTTC Elementary Education and endorsement-area tests.
Why Study PCKET at Grand Valley?
- PKCET is a teacher certification program that is customizable to students' specific areas of study.
- Grand Valley professors are both subject area experts and content pedagogy experts in their fields.
- The strong content pedagogical skills developed are valuable in settings outside the school system, where an understanding of effective teaching and learning is important.
- Extracurricular opportunities include participation in professional organizations, service learning in area schools, and becoming an active member of the community.
- Study abroad programs are designed to fit within the curriculum, providing students with the opportunity to travel and spend time in elementary classrooms around the world.
- Elementary education teachers with a Spanish endorsement or an ESL endorsement are in-demand locally and across the country.
Location & Format
Undergraduate students in this major study at the Grand Valley Allendale
- Face To Face
Courses within the program provide disciplinary content knowledge, practical and theoretical pedagogical knowledge, and pre-service field experiences. Majors take courses in:
- Fine arts
- Social studies
- Integrated science
- English language arts
- Health and physical education
The PCKET program, offered in combination with Educational Studies or Special Education, provides customizable degree options, which in turn, provides unique career opportunities for educators. Graduates will be prepared to teach in PK-3 and/or 3-6 elementary classrooms, Spanish immersion, ESL K-12 support, or special education in two selected endorsements areas. With the disciplinary concentrations, you will be positioned to be a disciplinary content leader in an elementary school. Meet with an advisor to select the right path.
Combined Degree Programs
This undergraduate degree can be combined with a master's degree to save you time and money and get you into the workforce sooner. On average, students save $8,500 in our combined degree programs and take up to four fewer classes than if earning the degrees separately.
You can even build your own combined degree from programs in different disciplines to further personalize your education and meet specific career goals.