Palliative and Hospice Care II Graduate Badge
A digital badge, or badge, is a record of achievement that recognizes a student's completion of a coherent and meaningful academic experience. GVSU offers both credit and non-credit bearing badges. Credit-bearing badges include anywhere from 0.5 to 15 academic credits and may include additional noncredit criteria. All badges are digital credentials and credit-bearing badges are also posted to the academic transcript.
The symptom management in palliative and hospice care (Palliative and Hospice Care II) badge recognizes completion of a graduate level course covering the assessment and management of pain and the variety of non-pain symptoms afflicting people who could benefit from palliative and hospice care. Skills for incorporating physical, psychologic, sociologic, and spiritual considerations into the management decisions for symptom relief are emphasized. Pharmacologic and non-pharmacologic approaches to symptom management are considered.
Why Earn a Digital Badge at Grand Valley?
- Completing a badge is an opportunity to highlight marketable and desirable skills to potential employers.
- Pursuing a badge, either in continuing education or while completing a degree, enhances your education.
- Digital badges can be displayed on social media, websites, and in emails.
- Badges are an efficient way to obtain a specialization, and the P&HC II can be completed in one semester.
- Gain a deep understanding of the personal, professional and societal perspectives of delivering care to patients facing life-limiting disease, terminal illness and death.
Applicants should hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university; you must submit an official transcript from your baccalaureate degree granting institution. It is not required to be admitted to a graduate degree program to complete the badge. Contact the program director for admission.
For current GVSU students:
- Declare your badge via myBanner. Login to Banner Self-Service, click on Student, Student Records, Add a Certificate or Badge to your Program, Select the appropriate badge from the drop down list, and click Submit.
- Speak with the appropriate badge coordinator to ensure criteria are being met. You will be able to track your progress toward the badge in myPath as well!
- Once you are done with the requirements, apply to receive the badge via myBanner.
- Once the completion of your badge has been verified, the badge will be posted to your student record and will be viewable on your transcript. In addition, your digital badge will be posted on Credly.com.
Location & Format
This program can be completed online.Format:
The badge is comprised of one three credit course, NUR 582 - Complex Pain and Symptom Management. The course will cover topics such as:
- Concept of total pain in end of life care
- Assessment of symptoms in palliative and hospice care
- Interprofessional symptom management
- Symptom burden and clusters
- Quality of life in advanced disease
- Cultural influences on pain and symptom management
This class is offered winter semester fully online.
For More InformationKirkhof College of Nursing
301 Michigan St. NE, Suite 453
ARE YOU A GVSU ALUM?
When you became a Laker, you opened up a lifetime of learning, and now alumni like you can use your Laker Lifetime Learning (L3) account for classes that provide greater knowledge and new skills. Your account is waiting for you to use for future classes at GVSU. All you have to do is click on the button below to find out more.Find Out More About Your Laker Lifetime Learning Account (L3)