Occupational Safety & Health Management, B.S.
Grand Valley State University offers a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in occupational safety and health management (OSHM). The degree provides students with the proper balance of safety management and scientific training required in the safety field.
OSHM prepares students for entry level positions within the occupational safety profession. Students are immersed in a curriculum that exposes them to a wide range of experiences to prepare them for a career based on the industry in which they wish to work. The following are examples of industry sectors that hire OSHM professionals: manufacturing, insurance, chemical, government, service industries.
Why Study OSHM at Grand Valley?
- Nearly 100% job placement.
- The program is accredited by the Applied and Natural Science Accreditation Commission of ABET.
- Graduates of the OSHM program at GVSU are eligible to receive the Graduate Safety Practitioner® (GSP®) from the Board of Certified Safety Professionals.
- Graduates can receive the Associate Safety and Health Management certification from the Institute of Safety and Health Management.
- Hands-on laboratory emphasis.
- The program involves students in real world projects coupled with salaried internships.
- Faculty have industry experience and are board certified. Our program is distinguished by a combination of hands-on and theoretical learning, including mandatory internship education.
Location & Format
Undergraduate students in this major study at the Grand Valley Allendale Campus.Formats:
Students study a variety of topics that include:
- Critical incident analysis
- Environmental safety and health regulations
- Ergonomic safety engineering
- Fire science
- Hazard control
- Health and safety techniques
- Industrial hygiene
Job opportunities exist in all occupational settings, including:
Combined Degree Programs
This undergraduate degree can be combined with a master's degree to save you time and money, and get you into the workforce sooner. On average, students save $8,500 in our combined degree programs and take up to four fewer classes than if earning the degrees separately.
You can even build your own combined degree from programs in different disciplines to further personalize your education and meet specific career goals.
“The OSHM program has been a great learning experience for students, allowing them to go out in the field to visit different sites and actually observe workplace hazards and their solutions, and to work hands-on with different monitoring equipment. The connections I've made through the opportunities to attend multiple safety conferences and through my internship have also proved beneficial.”