Occupational Safety & Health Management, B.S.
The Bachelor of Science degree in occupational safety and health management (OSHM) provides students with the proper balance of safety management and scientific training required in the field for manufacturing, insurance, chemical, government, and service industries.
OSHM prepares students for entry-level positions within the occupational safety profession. Students are immersed in a curriculum that exposes them to a wide range of experiences to prepare them for a career based on the industry in which they wish to work. The following are examples of industry sectors that hire OSHM professionals: manufacturing, insurance, chemical, government, service industries.
Why Study OSHM at Grand Valley?
- Our program is distinguished by a combination of hands-on and theoretical learning, including mandatory internship education.
- Graduates are eligible to receive the Graduate Safety Practitioner® designation from the Board of Certified Safety Professionals, as well as the Associate Safety and Health Management certification from the Institute of Safety and Health Management.
- Nearly 100% job placement.
- Faculty members have industry experience and are board certified.
- Accredited by the Applied and Natural Science Accreditation Commission of ABET.
This tool shows an overview of potential career opportunities for this major. Actual salaries, employment opportunities, and job titles may change over time.
Location & Format
Undergraduate students in this major study at the Grand Valley Allendale Campus.Format:
- Face To Face
Students study a variety of topics that include:
- Critical incident analysis
- Environmental safety and health regulations
- Ergonomic safety engineering
- Fire science
- Hazard control
- Health and safety techniques
- Industrial hygiene
Combined Degree Programs
This undergraduate degree can be combined with a master's degree to save you time and money, and get you into the workforce sooner. On average, students save $8,500 in our combined degree programs and take up to four fewer classes than if earning the degrees separately.
You can even build your own combined degree from programs in different disciplines to further personalize your education and meet specific career goals.
REAL-WORLD EXPERIENCEHands-on learning and other fieldwork not only deepen your mastery of your discipline but also give you the edge employers seek. Visit our experience matters page to see the work GVSU students are doing in their co-ops and internships.
The B.S. in (OSHM) is a secondary admission program. A student who has declared an OSH major is assigned an academic advisor from the professional advising staff in student services for the first two years and then from the faculty of the OSH Department after secondary admission. Click here for requirements and application.
"OSHM is an incredible program, providing hands-on learning experience along with exceptional classroom learning opportunities. I was able to gain real world experience performing sampling, testing, training, hazards identification, or give health and safety recommendations to companies. The program provided me with all the correct tools, resources, and knowledge needed to be a successful professional in the environmental health and safety field."