Music, B.A., B.M., B.M.E.
The Department of Music, Theatre, and Dance is a center for artistic excellence in performance, teaching, and scholarship.
- The Bachelor of Arts degree in music promotes the study of music within the context of a liberal education curriculum.
- The Bachelor of Music is designed for students with exceptional ability and particular interest in performance.
- The Bachelor of Music Education prepares students to teach music and meet certification requirements for Michigan's elementary and secondary schools.
- A minor in music is also available.
Prospective students must audition; information can be found at gvsu.edu/music/. Ensemble participation is open to all university students, though some ensembles require auditions.
Why Study Music at Grand Valley?
- Studying music at GVSU, within the context of a liberal education foundation, prepares students to answer the call of a rewarding career and life.
- As an undergraduate-only program, our students have greater opportunities to learn and perform.
- Small class sizes allow students to engage directly with faculty members who are committed to understanding and encouraging each student's unique talent and needs.
- Professors are performers, international competition winners, conductors, composers, theorists, scholars, and acclaimed teachers.
- Grand Valley is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Music.