McNair Scholars TRIO Program
The McNair Scholars Program provides support in undergraduate research, graduate school preparation, professional development, and the graduate school application process for sophomores and juniors who are interested in continuing their education to earn a doctorate. The program has been available at Grand Valley State University since 1995. It is a federally funded TRIO program by the U.S. Department of Education.
- Receive a $4,000 stipend for doing summer research
- Free summer on-campus housing
- Conduct research mentored by GVSU faculty
- Publish your research in the GVSU McNair Scholars Journal and on ScholarWorks!
- Participate in seminars to prepare for graduate school admissions, funding, and doctoral studies
- Graduate school application fee waivers, GRE preparation training and fee reduction waivers
- Preparation for graduate school in writing, public speaking, and presenting
- Work with a cohort of fellow undergraduate scholars and connect to successful GVSU McNair alumni
- Specialized academic and career counseling
- Exclusive McNair fellowships and funding opportunities
Interested students must:
- Be dedicated to obtaining a Ph.D. in any major;
- Have an interest in conducting research; and
- Have a GPA of 2.8 or higher.
Additionally, they must be:
- A first-generation college student - with a limited income (first-generation means: a student whose parent(s) did not receive a bachelor's degree prior to the applicant turning 18 or who did not receive support from a parent) AND/OR
- A member of an underrepresented racial/ethnic group in graduate education.
For More InformationMcNair Scholars Program
200 Student Services Center
1 Campus Drive
Allendale, MI 49401
"Whether or not you reach your goals in life depends entirely on how well you prepare for them and how badly you want them."
Laser physics, Ph.D., Massachusetts Institute of Technology // Congressional Space Medal of Honor