LAKERS TOGETHER: Find out how we're moving forward. Learn about campus safety measures including testing, face coverings and vaccines.
Green Chemistry undergraduate certificate
Green chemistry focuses on understanding how chemicals affect human health and the environment. It constitutes the core chemistry contribution towards sustainability by guiding the design of chemicals and processes toward reducing or eliminating the use or generation of hazardous substances.
The courses required for the certificate in green chemistry will enhance your understanding of sustainability and green, benign chemistry concepts. This certificate is a strong curricular addition to your degree. Students must be degree-seeking in order to complete this certificate.
Why Study Green Chemistry at Grand Valley?
- Grand Valley State University offers one of the few green chemistry certificate programs in the country.
- Access to state-of-the-art laboratory equipment.
- One-on-one interaction with faculty members.
- Opportunities for hands-on experience via internships and research opportunities available with faculty members and local businesses.
- The Chemistry Department at Grand Valley received the 2009 Michigan Green Chemistry Governor Award for green chemistry education.
- Grand Valley was among the first to sign the national Green Chemistry Commitment, June 2013, an agreement that states all chemistry majors, by the time they graduate, will have proficiency in green chemistry.