English to Speakers of Another Language graduate Certificate
The United States is growing more diverse, as is the international global marketplace. A graduate certificate in English to speakers of other languages (ESOL) benefits those interested in teaching English language and content to non-native speakers of English.
The program provides in service teachers and prospective teachers with theories, strategies, techniques, skills, learning, and teaching approaches that are needed to be effective in teaching and supporting English learners. The program is embedded with elements of social and emotional learning, covers a series of courses to foster participants' discussion on language and cultural issues, technology, and e-learning integration.
In addition to the ESOL certificate from GVSU, courses also prepare licensed educators for the K-12 ESL endorsement delivered by the Michigan Department of Education.
Why Study ESOL at Grand Valley?
- GVSU offers a high quality ESOL program with experienced ESOL instructors.
- The program has been tailored and customized to meet the unique needs of schools and school districts as well as English learners and families.
- The courses are designed to assist participants to meet their own classroom/interest needs.
- The program integrates technology, social, and emotional learning strategies into the key courses with field hours to foster such learning.
- Ideal for the busy professional, this certificate can be completed in accelerated online or hybrid format.