LAKERS TOGETHER: Find out how we're moving forward. Learn about campus safety measures including testing, face coverings and vaccines.
The Department of Music, Theatre, and Dance encourages collaboration across disciplines and provides opportunities to explore dance through the study of technique, history, theory, technology, choreography, pedagogy, anatomy and physiology, and production. Secondary admission.
The Bachelor of Arts degree offers students extensive training to develop and refine techniques in various idioms of dance. A minor is also available. Students develop abilities through a range of courses combining practical and theoretical skills emphasizing critical thought and independence. Participation in the dance program is by audition only. Find audition information and application at gvsu.edu/dance.
Why Study Dance at Grand Valley?
- The program is designed for students who demonstrate exceptional training for college-level dance.
- Students work with world-renowned faculty members and guest artists in small classes.
- There are a variety of technique courses in ballet, hip hop, jazz,
modern, urban dance, and West African dance to choose from.
- Students also will focus their academic experience on dance history, technology, composition, improvisation, pedagogy, and theoretical perspectives to ensure their success as educated members of the dance community.
- In addition to classes, workshops, informal showings, and student choreography concerts, dance students have the opportunity to perform with the GVSU Dance Company.